Help with locating next Homestead

We aren't moving out of Oklahoma, but when my DH was pipelining, he called and sent pics of Kentucky. If we were ever to move away, it would be there. Beautiful scenery and a lot milder winters than some of the other places you mentioned.
wink.png

Anywhere along the Appalachias would be gorgeous!!!
droolin.gif

Good luck with your search!
fl.gif

Shelly

There's a 28 acre hayfield (no house or outbuildings) kitty corner from me (south central KY) for sale - not listed (the guy never lists his property, he has a lot of it, and just uses word of mouth to sell it - I got my property from him) he is asking 70 thou for it. There are a few wooded areas on the prperty, but it is mostly rolling hayfield.

We are in major cow country here, but most of them are the usual - angus or crosses, or holsteins, etc... not many specialty cows or rarer breeds, I don't believe.

Our place is 12 miles out of Columbia KY and about the same distance from Edmonton KY. nearest bigger cities are Glasgow is not too far and Bowling Green is a good hour's drive from here. The local hospital is small, but all the other towns have hospitals, too.

We are 100 miles from both Nashville TN and Lousiville KY - I think Lexington might be closer than Lousiville - but not by much.

Land here is mostly rolling hills, some ridges, but no mountains.

Our neighbors are great, too. I love living here. I moved from Grand Rapids, Michigan a year and a half ago (lived in GR for 20 years, smaller towns south of there for most of my life - Hastings, Delton, Caledonia).

If you're looking up there, I would go north of GR or east of GR, south of GR is more flat and they get worse weather (and more tornados) than further north or east. West of GR you're going to have more Lake Effect Snow in the winter.

Hastings is a nice town, though - not too big, but has a hospital, and is the county seat, so is a medium sized place. (is south of GR but slightly further inland from the lake).

Personally, I wouldn't move TO Michigan, their economy is the worst in the country, I believe. If you don't need to work or send your kids to school, however, you'd get great deals on housing, cause everyone is trying to move OUT of Michigan.

Land, taxes and economy is better in KY, don't know about the other states you mentioned. Our property taxes (25 acres, classified as farm) were just 117 dollars last year - that's for the entire year.

Our taxes in Grand Rapids were about 900 dollars for a year, and we had a city lot - not even a whole acre.

Good luck finding a place, and if you're interested in the land near me, PM me and I'll give you the guy's telephone number to check out the land. He lives in Alabama, but he has someone local here who can show it to you.

Oh, and another nice thing about KY - my area has NO housing developments - it is mostly old family land, in fact one guy who owns most of the property behind and around me owns 2500 acres and he doesn't plan to sell a blade of grass of it
big_smile.png
It is mostly cow pasture - I love the cows for neighbors - much better than city neighbors
wink.png

meri

Last edited:
I live in northeast Michigan's lower peninsula. Yeah, the economy is in the pits, but so is a lot of the rest of the country now. However, it's gorgeous up here, Alpena is the big city (11,000 people) and has a decent hospital, Alpena Regional Medical Center.

Land is really cheap right now, a buyer's market. One of the things I love about living up here is there is NO traffic. I find living up here very relaxing compared to the places I've lived before.

Alpena is about a 5 hour drive from Detroit.

Here's a bunch of relevant web sites.

http://www.bannerrealty.com/

http://www.alpenachamber.com/

http://www.city-data.com/city/Alpena-Michigan.html

http://www.thealpenanews.com/

Quote:
And a nice wind chill of -15F . The area where we live is slowly dying. The steel industry is down and Chevy is questionable right now. There used to be over a 1/4 million in Y-town now there are 80.000 folks left. Plus Ohio is pretty flat, espec. in the middle. Your best bet is KY and Indiana. I am not pushing anything but as long as there is the Army in Ft Knox there will be business .

Quote:
Thanks!!

Quote:
Thanks! Just to be clear - I'm not saying the other states mentioned aren't beautiful - they all are beautiful... I just wanted to share how pretty I thought it was here.
smile.png

Quote:
Plus Ohio is pretty flat, espec. in the middle.

Yes, Ohio is flat as you go west, but SE Ohio is far from flat!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom