Help with making coop and run safe from foxes

MonicaMKUK

Chirping
Sep 26, 2015
Lost all 3 of our hens to foxes over the last 2 nights having already lost a cockerel and hen earlier in the year
We realise the foxes know we have chickens - is it safe to get more ?
We have a coop with a lockable door and a 20 foot enclosure which is 10 feet high and the wire fence is a foot deep under the ground - there is no covering over the enclosure ? The fox/s we think went into the hen house at night and got the chickens before we had locked the coop - obviously if we get more we can kick them in at dusk - any other suggestions ? Didn’t find any feathers as we have done before but neighbour heard chicken noise suggestions welcome

Lost all 3 of our hens to foxes over the last 2 nights having already lost a cockerel and hen earlier in the year
We realise the foxes know we have chickens - is it safe to get more ?
We have a coop with a lockable door and a 20 foot enclosure which is 10 feet high and the wire fence is a foot deep under the ground - there is no covering over the enclosure ? The fox/s we think went into the hen house at night and got the chickens before we had locked the coop - obviously if we get more we can kick them in at dusk - any other suggestions ? Didn’t find any feathers as we have done before but neighbour heard chicken noise suggestions welcome
I mean lock them in !!

Sorry for your loss :hugs
Your enclosure sounds well built. I would wait a while before restocking; and when you do, follow your idea to close up the coop as soon as the birds have gone to roost at dusk. You might also try fitting a chain curtain over the pop hole; I haven't had a loss since installing one after it was recommended to me. The birds learn to use it, and a fox doesn't dare.

You need to find how the fox got in. If it's 10' high its improbable it climbed over although I've heard they can if there is any bushes nearby to help it climb. Chicken wire isn't the best to keep a determined fox out as they can chew through it. Is there any way to put a solid roof over the run?

Sorry for your loss :hugs
Your enclosure sounds well built. I would wait a while before restocking; and when you do, follow your idea to close up the coop as soon as the birds have gone to roost at dusk. You might also try fitting a chain curtain over the pop hole; I haven't had a loss since installing one after it was recommended to me. The birds learn to use it, and a fox doesn't dare.

Thank you - what is a chain curtain ? Does it go over the entrance to the coop ? Can u buy from chicken shop?

You need to find how the fox got in. If it's 10' high its improbable it climbed over although I've heard they can if there is any bushes nearby to help it climb. Chicken wire isn't the best to keep a determined fox out as they can chew through it. Is there any way to put a solid roof over the run?

I was wondering about this but it’s about 20 foot square !! Can make sure Trees are cut back round the enclosure - we were due to get some rescue hens in a week’s time but they are usually quite battered and featherless so can keep them in small covered enclosure for now

I know how the fox or foxes got in as the enclosure gate was open as we let them run free on the grass as the enclosure area gets v muddy after rain but that is a sad lesson learnt - we have had chickens for 4 years and this is the first time foxes have got into the coop when there is light and noise coming from our house but they are obviously becoming more daring and maybe feeding cubs so we need to take preventative action !

Back
Top Bottom