Help with med. How to use.

bigspringshatchery

Songster
9 Years
Jun 26, 2010
Roanoke Alabama
I just left a vet with some antibiotics. All that's on the bottle is NFZ. He said it was for blackhead. I didn't get to talk to vet. I only talked to sec but on the bottle he wrote 1/4 oz to 155lbs of feed. Is there any other way of giving this? If not how would I cut to put in say 5lbs of feed.

By my calculations, you need .051 teaspoons per 5 pounds of feed.
hmm.png
Good luck measuring that. I am assuming that this is a dry medication.

Someone should probably check my math, but that is what i've come up with.

Do your chickens have blackhead?

I looked online and really couldn't find anything on it. Have you tried to use Cayanne pepper for treatment? I have heard Tylan is also very effective but have never used it for that. I have mixed 3 tablespoons ground cayenne pepper with one gallon of feed. Was your turkey diagnosed with blackhead?

No they haven't been looked at. Nobody around here does that. I've contacted the closest lab and they will only look at dead ones or I can bring one and I guess they kill it. It may not be blackhead. Their heads haven't turned and I haven't noticed different color in dropping. I just noticed today two of my hens dropping was runnny and when it hit the ground was foamy like.

bigspringshatchery,

If the only symptom i had seen is foamy poop, i would definitely not medicate. Often that is just caecal poop or just lots of water. It could be a lot of things or nothing at all. That's just my two cents, and i know you didn't really ask for our advice, so i'll be quiet now. I hope all your hens are just fine and dandy.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I agree, if there is no diagnosis, I wouldn't medicate either but that's just me. The red pepper is all natural and has been very beneficial to our flock for worming and blackhead prevention, couldn't hurt to try, but that is up to you.

Quote:
Oh no. I don't mind yours or anyones advice. I'm on here to learn. So plz don't stop. The foamy poop isn't the only sign. I've lost 3 since Sunday. The other sign is that the sickly ones just stand there with their heads pulled back and don't move. I had one like tht this morning but It was alive at 4.

Back
Top Bottom