Help with Mites/lice treatment

Crookadoodle

Chirping
Oct 18, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
Bit of a quick Hx on the situation:
I have 25 chickens, 10 were integrated after and 1 month quarantine and treatment for black mites. Only found on 2 out of 10 but treated all with a garlic juice + essential oil blend, sprayed to vent and under wings every second day, missing a couple applications for 3 weeks. Just prior to integrating with the existing flock, we couldn't find any more mites and assumed the treatment worked.
Tonight during flock inspections I found black mites on one hen and lice on another. Now I would have loved to use a proper mite/lice treatment in the past and really want one now, but all my searching for a product in Canada has come up blank!
From what I can tell, the powdered product was removed from market a couple of years ago and there has been no replacement product made available. I have read so many mixed things about DE, it makes me nervous and very skeptical to use it but I have no idea what else to try. I feel a bit lost and like my flock is going to suffer from the pests continually.

Any Canadian folks successfully treat for mites & lice recently with a decent product and have success? If so where did you purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I had a couple chickens with lice, they were really droopy. I got some DE from Tractor supply, and it fixed them right up! They were looking so much better after a week. I highly recommend DE for getting rid of lice or mites. I am in America though. Most farm supply stores should have it.

I have used DE in the past and as far as I'm concerned it is useless. I almost lost some birds, the DE didn't work, but I'm glad for those who have had success with it. I think you can buy this in Canada, Permethrin. Weekly treatments are needed for 3 or 4 weeks as it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out. I hope this helps. Good luck...
PermethrinCanada.jpg

CanadaPermethrin.jpg
This is what I use here in the US. This is premixed spray. PermethrinSprayR.jpg
Permethrin10ConcentrateMix.jpg

I have used DE in the past and as far as I'm concerned it is useless. I almost lost some birds, the DE didn't work, but I'm glad for those who have had success with it. I think you can buy this in Canada, Permethrin. Weekly treatments are needed for 3 or 4 weeks as it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out. I hope this helps. Good luck...
View attachment 2915234
View attachment 2915233
This is what I use here in the US. This is premixed spray.View attachment 2915235
View attachment 2915236
Okay so I found the first one, Onguard on Amazon and have ordered it. It won't come until the 9th....I live pretty rural so likely why the long wait, I checked local stores they don't carry this or permethrin products. So I have to wait. It says it's a 0.35% mists threads say to use a 0.50%...will this work? Do I dilute it still or just spray as is?

Also does anyone know what I can do in the mean time to help the chickens while we wait for the product

I'm not sure if it is premixed or not. I know it is 35%. If it is premixed you can spray it directly. I have a lot of coops so I use a backpack sprayer but you can use a half gallon or gallon sprayer. It will take 3 or 4 weekly treatments because it does not kill the pests eggs but will as they hatch out. Again, good luck...

You may be able to use garden dust. Often times it will have permethrin in it. Years ago I used sevin dust which at that time was approved here to use on poultry but now it's no longer approved but some people use it anyway.

I used permethrin. I pulled each bird off the roost and thoroughly dusted it top and bottom while on my lap. I did it two Sunday nights in a row. I also put a handful mixed with wood ash in their dust bath. I've had no problems since the treatment.

That's good. I nearly lost some birds to mites a few years ago the birds were molting but weren't getting their feathers back in so then I discovered they were covered with mites. I started treating them asap. It took a few weekly applications but finally got rid of of the pests. I felt so bad that I didn't check them sooner. Some were in quite bad shape but I thought they were going through longer molts. A couple of the worst birds I bathed them in flea shampoo that had permethrin in it. It did help but there were still a few on them. I dusted them until they looked like powdered doughnuts. My situation is I have around 400 birds but luckily only found mites in a couple of the coops but I sprayed in all of the coops. I also put the dust in their nest boxes. The bonus is that there is no egg withdrawal period so the eggs are safe to eat. Again, good luck...

Thanks so much for all the input! Hoping for speedy results for them, mine are also melting so I had thought that was why they had paler combs and were off lay, etc. We have had the pests about a month max, likely less since my last major check was just under a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom