Help with muscovy genders?

Orasa

Hatching
Jun 19, 2019
We have 4 muscovy ducks we got back in the beginning of April, and we're trying to figure out their genders so perhaps we can add a few more similar aged birds to the Flock! We don't want to have too many drakes. I got some pictures of them this morning, although they're in with all the other ducks...

I did read somewhere that the wider 'u' shaped tail means male so perhaps we have 1 drake and 3 females? There is one very small one but it's always been way smaller than the others so I'm not sure size difference would help.

20200727_113919.jpg

20200727_113603.jpg

20200727_113624.jpg

I'm trying to pick the muscovy out in your pictures. Can you herd the muscovy to one side and get them alone? I think I'm seeing 3 drakes but I'm not sure.

As a friendly warning.

Keeping ducks, especially heavier weight breeds, on hard/ dirty surfaces like concrete or compacted hard dirt can be quite conducive to several problems including Bumblefoot, arthritis, hygine-related problems, and malnutrition.

An alternative, would be filling the run full of natural absorbing decomposing matter such as wood chips or leaves.

Thanks for the info on the bedding! They did have grass in there but of course they ate it all....

The smaller one has always been smaller, their size difference didn't change at a certain age. I was trying to figure out alternate ways to tell the genders in case shes just a runt or something.

Back
Top Bottom