Help with my cream legbar who was attacked by other chicks

Do you have any recommendations on how to up their protein? We started giving the chicks soldier fly larvae but is there another way? We tried giving eggshells but they didn’t like them.
So you think they will continue to peck at her? Even after she’s healed?

Egg shell's are for helping with calcium in laying hen's that are already laying egg's, not for chick's. What is the percentage of protein on the bag of what you feed them? Maybe you could switch the feed to one of those all flock/grower feed now.

Did you say that she is also missing feather's from the bullying?

Egg shell's are for helping with calcium in laying hen's that are already laying egg's, not for chick's. What is the percentage of protein on the bag of what you feed them? Maybe you could switch the feed to one of those all flock/grower feed now.

Did you say that she is also missing feather's from the bullying?
Yes she’s missing quite a bit of feathers on her back and part of her tail. I’ll look into flock/grower feeds! And good to know on the eggshells! Now wonder the older pullets we have showed no interest! I didn’t give any to the 6 week old chicks though.

You as the chicken keeper need to keep tabs on bad behavior. It's important to not let the other chicks witness bad behavior cause they will replicate it and learn from it.
Oh I definitely keep watch on them but it still happened in the short amount of time from my late morning check-in to me letting them out around lunchtime. I’m pretty sure it was our two olive eggers bc they were the ones I actively saw pecking her as I approached them. Do you think they will continue to peck at her when we bring her back out with them? She is in the brooder by herself for now to be sure she heals up. Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior if they continue it with her? They’ve all been acting fine together in the coop so I don’t know why they did that to this one chick.

Other chicks or chickens always sense others who are weak or injured and instinctively attack out of impulse. Usually trying to kill it.

If that was my bird she will need to remain by herself till she is totally healed with full feathers. By that time she should be able to defend herself and not be a target.

I would also monitor her food and water intake each day. Eating more or less.

She will be safe if she can appear healthy and not have visible injuries. That's the only time they will ignore there target.
Thank you so much!! I’ll keep her separate until she’s fully feathered and back to her normal self! Thankfully I think I got to her in time before they could do worse damage to her. She’s healing up nicely and is acting fine and eating and drinking like normal. And I’m definitely keeping an even closer eye on the chicks to be sure that they don’t target another in their group. I’m trying to let them out during the day to free range more to give them something to do and not get bored in the coop but with them being still on the younger side to leave out alone and our older chickens out free ranging and not used to them, I like to be out with them to monitor.

Back
Top Bottom