help with my hybrid run/coop

aassbb

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2015
Hello! So excited about our hens and their space! Hoping some kind folks can answer a few questions. We live in hot south Florida and converted an old dog kennel into a hybrid coop/run.

Its a 7' x 14' concrete slab with a roof. The four sides are one full wall with ~ 1/2 spacing between boards. a half wall with 1/2 spacing between boards, one open side w/ people door, and the back side is also open, but there is a full height wood pile that is almost like a wall. Its entirely enclosed with hardware cloth. Inside is a 2-step roost made from branches, and a doghouse filled with shavings.

The coop is located in a large shaded yard with 5' no climb fence.

We have 5 hens, three RIR's and 2 EE's. They are about 6 weeks old and have been living in the coop for 2 weeks. They aren't allowed outside yet in their yard. They head into the dog house on their own to sleep, and roost on branches or on the floor or scratch around in the day.

My questions:

1. What should I put on the concrete floor? Sand was recommended but I've also read some negative things about sand. Right now I have a thin layer of sand mixed with some dirt from outside yard. Shavings wouldn't be good in case the rain blew in. Is sand/dirt ok or should I go with one or the other? Periodically rake or sift for poops? Be it sand or dirt, how deep of a layer?

2. How much to feed? They are eating crumbles in a 7lb feeder. I have read "feed all they want". But they empty the feeder almost immediately (without eating the food), so keeping it full would be futile. I know they scratch around for their scattered food. So is there a volume or weight of food per hen as a guideline?

3. Would eventually like to make a pop door with automatic door when they are a little older. This might sound dumb, but what's to prevent critters (cats, coons, possum) from heading in through the pop door when its open?

THANK YOU!!!

Hang the feeder so the food is at their shoulder height. They will still get some on ground with beak but at least can't scratch the food out. I also like to feed pellets as soon as the birds can take them as that's not scattered about as much as crumbles.

I'd go 4 to 6 inches of sand.

Last edited:
That's a great space for chickens! Chicks dump food like crazy, and there isn't much you can do about it without getting a special feeder, but they should outgrow that in a couple months or so.

I am curious what the best bedding is for cement too. If I were you, for now I'd put straw down In the run, just so they can scratch around in it. I use pine shavings in the coop, but you can do straw there too.

It looks like you need to raise the coop higher and build some nest boxes, or just build a new coop. But it looks like a good brooder for chicks.

Last edited:
Thank you both.

Well, the coop/dog house was intended to be a brooder for "teens", i.e they could sleep in there but could still cruise around the run. I wanted them to have lots of space and they were outgrowing their indoor brooder.

I was thinking against straw, as the rain could blow in and get it wet.

Will be building nest boxes soon.

Its sooooo hot here that i was thinking, and got some advice in this direction, not to build a traditional coop. Rather just to have nest boxes and roosts for them.

I have heard of people using dried leaves, mulch, and even grass clippings. Sand might work best on concrete, not sure.

It's awesome that your climate is warm enough to not worry about a regular coop. Roosts and nest boxes sounds perfect.

Quote: How big is the coop? Looks like it is about 3' x 4' only, not enough space to house 7 chickens.

Since you are in a warm climate, and if the entire structure is already secured with 1/2' hardware cloth, might as well make this whole structure an open coop. Put up a long roosting bar in the corner, and covert this wooden coop to nest boxes, you'd be all set.

Yes this is exactly the plan - add nest boxes. They already have access to the whole structure and already use their roosts though I might make them higher when they are bigger. What you are calling the coop - they only go in there when they want, currently to sleep at night. They aren't locked into the little house. And when they are bigger, they can also go out during the day into the "yard", which is fenced so dogs will be out, but cats, coons and possum can still climb over....hence my pop door question. I wouldnt want them to go in for the night and find something waiting for them! Pop door stays open during day, right?

The door should usually stay open during the day so they can get back in whenever they want to lay or eat/drink. Most natural predators will not come out in the daytime, but of course it depends where you live. Dogs and cats could be a problem, for example.

It looks like you already have an 8ft fence--or at least the posts--surrounding the coop. With all the trees around your coop you'd need to have the top fenced over too, so foxes and opossums don't drop in from the trees.

Yes in an ideal world, the top of the "yard" would be covered. But its 30' x 40' ! Challenging and expensive, right? Especially using something strong enough that it wouldn't get chewed through at night. But am open to suggestions if you have any!

Back
Top Bottom