Help with my Quail

Sasha-chickens

Chirping
Aug 1, 2019
A month ago I got 4 Quail from my neighbors. They kept them in a dog crate. When ever I brought the Quail home, i put them in a empty decent sized chicken coop. I made the ramp where they were able to climb up it to go to the nesting boxes and food. They refuse to go up top. I’ve had to start taking there food and putting it at the bottom so they can eat and they lay their eggs on the ground anywhere. Does anyone know why or how i can get my quail to go up to their food and nesting boxes?

Quail aren't like chickens. They don't go up to roost and conk out until morning. I've noticed that the quail in my outdoor enclosures are fairly active and aware at night as compared to chickens. Quail much prefer to be outside on the ground at all times. If you can make a ground level door into the coop they will use that . Or if the run is safe from predators you could add another shelter in there for them. They aren't likely to ever use the ramp or nest boxes as a chicken would.

Quail aren't like chickens. They don't go up to roost and conk out until morning. I've noticed that the quail in my outdoor enclosures are fairly active and aware at night as compared to chickens. Quail much prefer to be outside on the ground at all times. If you can make a ground level door into the coop they will use that . Or if the run is safe from predators you could add another shelter in there for them. They aren't likely to ever use the ramp or nest boxes as a chicken would.
Ok will do. Thank you so much

As Gena said ... I also have a small Chicken coop for my quails with roost, laying boxes and ramp.

Some of them use the ramp, some don't.
I just offer water and food up and down.

Back
Top Bottom