Help with my Roosters & Hens behaviour

gar1967

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2015
Northeastern Ontario
I have 1 rooster with 4 hens. They are 13 weeks old. The breeds are mixed: Red sexlink cross with American or Maran and Blue Azure Bantam mixed crosses. I saw this happen with another rooster I had from this family with the same behaviour. I've given him away :( My big boy Miracle is now presenting the same behavior. He grabs the other hens' beaks and won't let go and then there's squawking. Why is he doing this? If he is showing pecking order why do this with hens? I am teaching him that I am the boss. He seems to be catching on, but this behaviour concerns me because I'm afraid one of them will get hurt!

This is a new breed for me. When I take them their bedtime snack, I am also experiencing aggressive hens jumping at me and dumping the food dish.

It's been very warm temperatures. Can heat play a factor?

I am at a loss and could really use some help.

When I take them their bedtime snack, I am also experiencing aggressive hens jumping at me and dumping the food dish
Food aggression. Change the way you provide this snack....or stop giving it.

Why is he doing this?
Because he's an idiot?
Young cockerel just starting to feel the hormones, hardest time.
Might need to separate him for a few weeks, or at least for most the day so the girls get a break.

Food aggression. Change the way you provide this snack....or stop giving it.

Because he's an idiot?
Young cockerel just starting to feel the hormones, hardest time.
Might need to separate him for a few weeks, or at least for most the day so the girls get a break.
Lol! Yes, he does seem to be showing the girls who's the boss. He's better with me now that I carry my stick into the coop. Thanks, I'll keep an eye on him and will separate him if needed. Thanks aart for the suggestion! You've been very helpful!

Plain and simple… he’s horney . Normal behavior - like a 12 year old boy, doesn’t know how to channel these feelings. You may want to add a few pullets to the mix so he doesn’t end up overbreeding then as a mature cockerel.

Back
Top Bottom