Help with my Science Fair project, Please!

korinne03

Hatching
Mar 15, 2015
For my Science Fair I have to do some interviews and I would be happy if you could help me! My question was: Is there a difference in the size of the yolk between farm eggs and store bought eggs? What makes an egg yolk bigger? What is your experience with raising chickens? Please reply soon!

No I don't think there is a difference between the size of yolks between store and farm but there is a difference between the air cell size between farm eggs and store eggs, store eggs are much older than a lot of farm eggs so the air cell expands. The egg yolk can differ with age, breed, and health. Have you heard of the brown egg, white egg controversy where people believe that white eggs are less fresh than brown eggs and they have nutritional differences when there are really other factors that make store eggs not as fresh, that might be a great thing to add in your project :)
I've raised chicken since I was eleven and started out with Wyandottes than it grew from there. Pretty soon I joined the chicken show world and showed in 4-H competitions which includes judging (exterior and interior quality of eggs, carcasses and parts, and oral reasoning) I miraculously placed best in state one year.

Welcome to BYC!

Like twistedfeather said, yolk size is depended a lot on both genetics and nutrition, as well as other factors. I have production-laying birds (red sexlinks), which is a popular choice as a commercial brown-layer. Their yolks are often larger than storebought eggs because they've been bred to produce huge eggs. However, a Buff Orpington (which is a popular backyard choice) may have a smaller egg and yolk than storebought.
Some people believe that brown eggs are better for you than white eggs, but this is not necessarily true. Small farmers often choose brown-laying chickens, such as red sexlinks or Rhode Island reds, while the leading commercially producing chicken in the United States is the Leghorn, a white layer. An egg from a truly free-range leghorn (white layer) will be better for you than the egg from a red sexlink (brown layer) in a cage. Store-bought eggs are also usually older as well.
Raising chickens has been extremely rewarding. I put work into my birds, and it's exciting to get eggs out of that. They are also fun to watch! I also like to use their feathers for crafting, which I am well supplied with!
Good luck on your project! Really interesting topic you chose, I hope you do well!!
thumbsup.gif

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my questions about my project! Also you gave me some new thoughts about my project and it will be very useful! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom