Help with naked finch?

okiechick57

Crowing
14 Years
May 22, 2007
Just outside Okc Oklahoma
I don't know how many of you own finches....but my female has always been naked.......she plucks,he plucks,they all pluck her feathers out.............AND now the new babies who is just weaned is also naked..........anyone have a clue? I have heard it is to get nesting "softies" but I supply them with plenty of that now..........the dad is fully feathered???

fabric002.jpg

Do they got enought attention? Looks like its time to seperate her for some one on one. The male could be plucking her and the chicks naked. She could also be plucking herself. Get her her own cage (BIG), load up on toys, and spend some time with her. Is she tame?

We had a problem with one of the females. Either she or her mate were plucking her feathers. My wife sent her to administrative segregation, and the problem disappeared.

Her former mate is also in a separate cage. He can't seem to get along with any of the others. Now they spend all day flirting with each other, but my wife says it will be a cold day in hell when he will get another chance with her.

Give them some yarn scraps and a bit of hay to make a nest with if you decide not to separate them. Also, do not neglect nutriation. Give them chopped boiled egg with the shell chopped in with it. They love lettuce, but they make such a mess with it. Also, sometime I give them just a tad of macaroni with cheese.

Good Luck,

Rufus

Please do not use the Hot Pick or any other chemical on your birds. It can be very dangerous, no matter what the label says. I have a 'tiel that often takes out his frustrations on his feathers and mental stimulation helps take his mind off it. Also, do you frequently bathe her? Do this at least every other day.

Thank you all for the imput............it seemed no matter how much "fuzzy" for nesting I put in there, he just picks her and her baby............she was separated last week, and died within a day? The baby is on his/her own now and looking good and full of feathers...........I suppose this male will live next to all others from now on........although the mother did pluck the baby quite a bit also......... I see them bathe themselves all the time, so I do not bathe them more... appreciate the advice !

I have 3 of the same breed finch that the one male has picked the 2 females necks clean. I took him to the finch shop and wanted to trade him for another female. The owner said he'll take him, but if I give him nesting stuff, he'll stop picking them. So I ended up taking him and 5 new finches home. I put up 3 nesting boxes which they never used, and he continues to pick them, so that's that.
See if you can trade him for a female.

Thank you Seminolewind....sad to report the mom has died.......not sure why...........boy is he upset now......the baby is now fully feathered and I plan on letting the male live alone now...but next to the cage that holds his son/daughter.......will try another female/male with the new baby when the time comes....... I will never let him in with another bird....... as I kept them supplied with nesting material and it never seemed to make a difference
sad.png

Sorry about your finches this is not all that unusual are they zebra finches?Benglese or society finches? I bred finches for 3 years about 20 diffrent kinds. I dont have any or plan on getting any they are much more high matenance then chickens or any poultry. I felt like they wernt giving me any thing exept looking good so I sold all of mine. best of luck with the rest of the finches Make sure he dosent get lonly becasue they are flock birds.

Sadly, finches are what people keep when they no longer can have chickens.

Rufus

Back
Top Bottom