Help with nasty wound, infected(?), torn webbing

The spot on middle toe is firm. The other part (circled) is squishy.
20210126_080100.jpg
20210126_080145.jpg
IMG_20210126_075949.jpg
IMG_20210126_080001.jpg

And she has feeling in all of the toes as well. At first I was afraid of gangrene but it has stayed warm to the touch.

In looking at the middle toe again, there are two very small scabs. Could that be bumblefoot? Would bumblfoot cause that kind of tearing? Do ducks do ok without the webbing? Im worried if that last little piece of skin holding the toes together should snap. I'm not sure why that seems to me like it would be such a big deal but it did. I just want to get antibiotics in her if that's what she needs. I would hate to have her get sick with a systemic infection. Never dealt with a wound this bad (thank goodness!).

That is good to hear the necrotic tissue is limited to the webbing. The two swelled parts you outline in the middle, appear to be bumblefoot, the other part may an abscess if it feels watery inside. Given that, you may try to kill to birds with one stone, and start her on an antibiotic and see if that takes care of her foot problems. There are several antibiotics that can be obtained online in fish or bird form without an RX:

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
https://www.chewy.com/fish-aid-antibiotics-cephalexin/dp/185208

Last edited:
That is good to hear the necrotic tissue is limited to the webbing. The two swelled parts you outline in the middle, appear to be bumblefoot, the other part may an abscess if it feels watery inside. Given that, you may try to kill to birds with one stone, and start her on an antibiotic and see if that takes care of her foot problems. There are several antibiotics that can be obtained online in fish or bird form with an RX:

Bless you so much for taking the time to help me! I am so grateful! And yes, it feels watery in that area. I would need an RX from a vet to order thm, right? They won't give me one without me making the drive. And I may have to just break down and do that. Both of them LOSE it when they can't see the other, so it'll be an adventure for sure! I'll have him with us because I don't want to stress her out by leaving him behind.

I know they have some at TSC, Atwoods, etc. but I have heard that those may be different and that all aren't created equal. I'd hate to harm her with the wrong thing.

Bless you so much for taking the time to help me! I am so grateful! And yes, it feels watery in that area. I would need an RX from a vet to order thm, right? They won't give me one without me making the drive. And I may have to just break down and do that. Both of them LOSE it when they can't see the other, so it'll be an adventure for sure! I'll have him with us because I don't want to stress her out by leaving him behind.

I know they have some at TSC, Atwoods, etc. but I have heard that those may be different and that all aren't created equal. I'd hate to harm her with the wrong thing.

You're welcome - If you live in the U.S you can obtain the antibiotics I linked in my previous post without needing a prescription. Whichever one you choose, let us know, and we can provide dosing information.

That is good to hear the necrotic tissue is limited to the webbing. The two swelled parts you outline in the middle, appear to be bumblefoot, the other part may an abscess if it feels watery inside. Given that, you may try to kill to birds with one stone, and start her on an antibiotic and see if that takes care of her foot problems. There are several antibiotics that can be obtained online in fish or bird form without an RX:

I responded to your double post. :)

You're welcome - If you live in the U.S you can obtain the antibiotics I linked in my previous post without needing a prescription. Whichever one you choose, let us know, and we can provide dosing information.
That's wonderful, thank you so much. Any chance you might have one that you think would work best? I've given Tylan injections before. I hated it, but it had to be done. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would prefer an oral antibiotic UNLESS we need to use an injectable. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help her keep here little foot and get out of pain.\

That's wonderful, thank you so much. Any chance you might have one that you think would work best? I've given Tylan injections before. I hated it, but it had to be done. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would prefer an oral antibiotic UNLESS we need to use an injectable. I'm willing to do whatever I can to help her keep here little foot and get out of pain.\

The Baytril I linked is at a fairly high potency so when dosing not much has to be given compared to some antibiotics such as Cephalexin. Additionally, it's bacteriostatic and has broad antimicrobial effects. If you choose Baytril dose at 0.05ml per pound, twice a day, for no longer than five days. This is given orally. As a further note, it is not approved for use in poultry by the FDA, but many people use it regardless. There is an egg withdrawal for Baytril.

EDIT- Bactericidal not static

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom