Help with new baby buff orpington

Buttermilkfluff

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2020
We rescued a sick chick from tractor supply on Sunday when we went to get food for our chickens. She looked really bad and others were walking all over her. She didn’t seem to have a chance there and my daughter and I both have tender hearts and want to help her. We also have a number of other chickens we have raised with no issues. But this girl was definitely dehydrated so we have been giving her water and she perked up some but still very lethargic and also struggling to walk. She will stumble over to her food and eat and drink water when we give it it her but I haven’t seen her do that on her own. She struggles to walk and we have been trying to determine if this may be a leg issue or neurological. I am attaching photos in hopes someone can give us an idea on what to do. Contemplating the chick chair but would love to know if anyone thinks that will help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 5B8BE839-08A2-46BD-A30D-142BC405F732.jpeg
    5B8BE839-08A2-46BD-A30D-142BC405F732.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 38
Mabey its like stargazing, where the chick can't keep its balance, so it wobbly legs and can't stand are symptoms of stargazing, I believe it is a neurological issue, but I don't know for sure, ill rubble check.
Well I hadnt thought about stargazing since her head doesnt look up but sometimes she will walk backwards which I read is also a symptom. We started her on save a chick but I am wondering if there is enough thiamine in that or if I should get some brewers yeast or other souce.

Is she better today?
Not yet. I bought nutri drench and started giving that to her this morning. She is eating and drinking good. We use a dropper and she reaches out for the water but can not stand on her own or get it from her bottle. She lays on her side most of the day until we get her up. Still hoping the vitamins will get in her system and she will start getting better. She chatters and poops often not a large poo but still it’s happening so that is good.

Back
Top Bottom