Help with new coop plan....

Frankiegirl

Crowing
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Hi All... I’m finally starting the build for the new coop! Thanks to @DobieLover for her ideas on her page. You’re an inspiration and much the ideas I want to implement. I would love to get everyone’s input on how to make make my chicken coop great!
So here are the specs I’m going for, and photos of really crude sketches to follow. Goal is to have the coop portion 8’x8’ and the indoor storage area 4’x8’ for a total indoor area of 8’x12’ of space. Outdoor run will be 8’x20’ for total space for chicken math! I have 5 ladies now and want to have the ability to expand my flock to 15.

Im planning to have nesting boxes inside so the walls are pretty straight build with customize the inside. Also, I’d like to have a brooder/storage area below the nesting boxes. I want to make sure I have enough ventilation and other ideas are appreciated. Thanks everyone, and special thanks to @DobieLover....I really love your coop!☺️

Attachments

• A267F03D-ACBC-47B1-82D6-8343CF6C52FC.jpeg
    A267F03D-ACBC-47B1-82D6-8343CF6C52FC.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 7FB3E58E-1CBF-488C-A8C3-AAC08AE1F3A9.jpeg
    7FB3E58E-1CBF-488C-A8C3-AAC08AE1F3A9.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 921AF797-20E1-4993-BAEF-43372F15D54B.jpeg
    921AF797-20E1-4993-BAEF-43372F15D54B.jpeg
    403 KB · Views: 23
  • 69FA83BE-5851-4204-99E3-C949787AB3C0.jpeg
    69FA83BE-5851-4204-99E3-C949787AB3C0.jpeg
    500.5 KB · Views: 22
@aart....Thanks! I met with the builder today and he feels that he has a good idea of how to start. They are going to build the walls in sections in the shop and bring it up in pieces. The run is also going to be 8x16 that will be covered. Apparently, the twp I am moving to does not allow any permanent structure that houses animals to be built w/in 150’ from any property line or house. Therefore, we are building a “shed”. Also, going to have a concrete pad poured for it. Fingers crossed.

I am very lucky to have the crew that built the house construct the coop. Might not get painted until spring, but at least it will be primed at the shop. I’m not a neophyte, but winter is coming and you can’t push contractors. I’m looking forward to getting my hands dirty again:)

The area under the poop boards can also be enclosed to make brooder, integration/isolation area, sick bay.
That’s a good idea. I’m fiddling with putting the brooder area under the indoor nesting box that will offer that exact opportunity. That way, I have access to them through the storage area without having to enter the coop area. So many great ideas....appreciate your thoughts and everyone who has a minute to take a look.

@aart....Thanks! I met with the builder today and he feels that he has a good idea of how to start. They are going to build the walls in sections in the shop and bring it up in pieces. The run is also going to be 8x16 that will be covered. Apparently, the twp I am moving to does not allow any permanent structure that houses animals to be built w/in 150’ from any property line or house. Therefore, we are building a “shed”. Also, going to have a concrete pad poured for it. Fingers crossed.

I am very lucky to have the crew that built the house construct the coop. Might not get painted until spring, but at least it will be primed at the shop. I’m not a neophyte, but winter is coming and you can’t push contractors. I’m looking forward to getting my hands dirty again:)
Make sure they leave the soffits open.
What twp, if you care to share?
How will you explain the run to the powers that be?

I’m moving to Ada Twp in Grand Rapids. I’m zoned rp-1 rural so I can have animals. Several of my neighbors have chickens and pigs. They put their shelter up after the fact. Once I get occupancy...we should be good to go.im literally up on a hill in the middle of 3 acres surrounded by trees.

ada is very clicky in the village part....I could see them going crazy there... but Ion the outskirts that has been largely undeveloped. Next house is an acre away

if they come back...then I guess I’ll have some explaining to do. Rule states it has to be movable and cannot be permanent. I can work around that.

Yes I have someone else doing the building. I wish I could say I can do it myself but skill set and time simply don’t allow for it. After 16 years in the suburbs... and strict HOA rules...We weren’t allowed to cut down a tree without approval let alone build anything. In other words....i would be over my skis. Can’t wait to settle in and start working on projects again. My builders are chicken guys so I’m very grateful for that.

I was looking at your article on spacing. Very helpful. Looks like I’m also using some of your ideas also:). Soffits will be a material that will protect from predators but give max ventilation. Windows will be hinged from the top and have Plexiglass inserts for winter. I like your idea of raising the coop door. I bought the chicken auto-door extreme w the lock at the bottom, since it appears I have a family of raccoons.

I will read more of your post and will likely have questions...like how high up to install poop boards, windows....

just don’t want to make any big mistakes. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom