Help with niacin conversion...

wolfinator

Songster
8 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Mountains of Fayette County, WV
Ok, I'm not the greatest with converting milligrams to tsp so I could really use some help. I had to go back to chicken feed for my ducks since it over $10 a 50# bag cheaper so I bought an 8.8oz (250g) bag of 500mg powdered niacin for them. For the life of me, my brain isn't figuring out how much niacin I need to give 21 adult ducks. I have 12 Runners, khaki Campbell's (2 drakes), 1 Mallard (3 pounds) and 8 Runner/Khaki Campbell mixed - most weight 4 pounds average. They free range so I feed them in the evening once back in their pen. I divide their feed between 3 small dish pans so I'd be dividing the amount of niacin between them.

Thanks in advance.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆

Ok, I'm not the greatest with converting milligrams to tsp so I could really use some help. I had to go back to chicken feed for my ducks since it over $10 a 50# bag cheaper so I bought an 8.8oz (250g) bag of 500mg powdered niacin for them. For the life of me, my brain isn't figuring out how much niacin I need to give 21 adult ducks. I have 12 Runners, khaki Campbell's (2 drakes), 1 Mallard (3 pounds) and 8 Runner/Khaki Campbell mixed - most weight 4 pounds average. They free range so I feed them in the evening once back in their pen.

Thanks in advance.
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆🦆
Can you post a picture of the bag?

Can you post a picture of the bag?
20230512_210640.jpg

20230512_210722.jpg

Everything I've read says 12.5mg daily but doesn't say for a specific weight or for any weight.
12.5mg for a duck without specifying the weight is the same as the dose on the bag saying 500mg for a [human] adult without specifying the weight. It isn't critical for niacin, most of which is excreted through the kidneys, and doesn't build up in the body. So you wont over dose them

500mg in 1/5 of a tsp
100mg in 1/25 of a tsp
12.5mg in 1/200 of a tsp
for 21 ducks 21/200 of a tsp
or approx 1/10 tsp per day

Thats a very small amoung to mix in with all those cups of duckfood that you are giving your 21 ducks!!

I checked my math by calculation the other way and came out with the same very small amount

12.5mg per duck per day
250mg approx for 21 ducks
250mg is half 500mg which is in 1/5 tsp, and thus 250 mg is in 1/10 tsp.

MMMMmmm
Sorry I really don't know how you are going to use this supplement!

12.5mg for a duck without specifying the weight is the same as the dose on the bag saying 500mg for a [human] adult without specifying the weight. It isn't critical for niacin, most of which is excreted through the kidneys, and doesn't build up in the body. So you wont over dose them

500mg in 1/5 of a tsp
100mg in 1/25 of a tsp
12.5mg in 1/200 of a tsp
for 21 ducks 21/200 of a tsp
or approx 1/10 tsp per day

Thats a very small amoung to mix in with all those cups of duckfood that you are giving your 21 ducks!!

I checked my math by calculation the other way and came out with the same very small amount

12.5mg per duck per day
250mg approx for 21 ducks
250mg is half 500mg which is in 1/5 tsp, and thus 250 mg is in 1/10 tsp.

MMMMmmm
Sorry I really don't know how you are going to use this supplement!
Thanks. I'd really prefer to put it in their water but I don't use a waterer. Thmey use a kiddie pool (in pen) or now, the spring water pond that's available when free ranging. I might put the niacin with water in a spray bottle and spray their food with it.

Back
Top Bottom