Help with our barnyard crosses? *pics added*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jlquick30, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jlquick30

jlquick30 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    We let a broody hen hatch some babies and now we are wondering who their parents are from our small flock. They all hatched from brown eggs so hen choices are: red sex-link, black sex-link and one mottled java/Ancona mix. We have two roosters - a red sex-link and an Ancona, both of which are hatchery strain but pretty close to standard.

Thoughts?

*EDITED* Finally got the pics to add! There are four chicks, all born the week of Nov. 10, 2013.
    Spot seems to be a pullet, with some Ancona - she is mostly white with black spotting.
    Blondie is almost entirely white.
    Jet seems to have an Ancona comb, his feathers are mostly black, with a green sheen, and some red streaks.
    Pip is the largest, by a little, mostly black with some red streaks on his head.

Sorry - pics of the black birds are hard to get, they're fast and feisty these days!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Pics? I love mixes and trying to guess who the parents are. How old are the chicks?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto!

4. jlquick30

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Darn... I added pics and they're not showing up! The chicks were born Nov 10, so they're about 3 months old. Will add pics ASAP!

5. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Me 3....I'll be back to help guess....I love trying to guess mix breeds too. [​IMG]

Lady of McCamley

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I see a lot of leghorn type body structure. In pic #3, The white with black spots pullet could be out of a leghorn hen and black rooster, I have 2 hens out of RSL hens and a black Australorp rooster that look just like her ; only my girls have a much thicker body type. The top picture bird looks like a cockeral and so does the bird in pic #2. The white one in the third pic could be a pullet.

7. jlquick30

Jun 28, 2012
    East Texas
    Just based on temperament (and maybe comb size), we definitely feel like the two black ones are roosters -- and Spot seems very much like a pullet. Blondie (the all white bird) is much more ambiguous... I was hoping someone here would know for sure! haha! I'm impatient and it's so hard to wait until maturity to know what they will be! :D

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    Wow... thanks for posting the pics!! I just set some eggs from our Ancona hens who were covered by our EE rooster... Cant wait to see what pops out!!!... Funny thing about the Ancona's... There combs are so large they get mistaken for roos and they both are semi aggresive, our older rooster refused to cover them for almost a year, finally the younger EE roo has taken them under his...er...wing...[​IMG]

9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Ugh I totally had a brain lapse and didn't even read the part about only having specific parent breeds to choose from.

Well in light of that info, my best guesses are
    #1center cockeral bsl x ancona roo
    #2 cockeral bsl or java x ancona roo
    #3 left pullet rsl x rsl roo
    #3 right pullet rsl x ancona roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by