Help with our Peacock, Please!

kitkat67

Hatching
Dec 13, 2017
Hello, my uncle has a peacock that showed up at his house years ago. We live in NY so the peacock stays in the garage during winter on a 2x4 between 2 ladders. He's been doing great so far this winter, but my uncle asked me for help. The peacock chatters his beak irregularly, like baby birds do when angry. He also waves his head back and forth and tries to scrape his beak on some wood. This he usually does after eating to clean his beak, but now he does it all the time with the beak chattering. I think he is trying to breathe through his mouth and his nose might be stuffed? His food has not changed in the years my uncle has had him, he gets 24hr access to a tub of bird grain and half a cookie or slice of bread a day. My uncle says he is still drinking, but he has stopped giving him the cookies/bread since this behaviour started. He also told me he does it all day long, the chattering and beak scraping. He appears healthy to me, otherwise--I have some past farm fowl experience both hands on and academically. Any advice or diagnoses would be appreciated. Thank you

edit: he's not breathing through his mouth with a wide open beak, I just thought he might because he opens and closes his beak a few times a second on and off, the "chattering" but makes no noise doing so

Hello, my uncle has a peacock that showed up at his house years ago. We live in NY so the peacock stays in the garage during winter on a 2x4 between 2 ladders. He's been doing great so far this winter, but my uncle asked me for help. The peacock chatters his beak irregularly, like baby birds do when angry. He also waves his head back and forth and tries to scrape his beak on some wood. This he usually does after eating to clean his beak, but now he does it all the time with the beak chattering. I think he is trying to breathe through his mouth and his nose might be stuffed? His food has not changed in the years my uncle has had him, he gets 24hr access to a tub of bird grain and half a cookie or slice of bread a day. My uncle says he is still drinking, but he has stopped giving him the cookies/bread since this behaviour started. He also told me he does it all day long, the chattering and beak scraping. He appears healthy to me, otherwise--I have some past farm fowl experience both hands on and academically. Any advice or diagnoses would be appreciated. Thank you

edit: he's not breathing through his mouth with a wide open beak, I just thought he might because he opens and closes his beak a few times a second on and off, the "chattering" but makes no noise doing so

Hi. Get it into a kennel
And a radiant light source for heat. It may have trichamonis , a plaque that wild birds and domestic bird get in the mouth and down the throat. It can make the beak look deformed as the growth starts to protrude and it’s a beige or yellow when you see it. Can sneak up on you. Also on the very high chance it is t that process, has it hit its head? Is his head tilting or bobbing in a repetitive movement? Personally I never have used bread for any bird, but I don’t know everything. Trick will call for flatly 2x a day for 5 days should it have that. Yeast is nystatin 2x daily for 3 days and you should take this time to deworm and have an overall exam done. Good luck and trich is zoonotic I believe so wash hands. Lots and if I’m wrong I apologize. Heat seems like a first step to treat any bird with a stress issue and don’t use hay in he kennel jay an infrared towel or shredded new paper.

Back
Top Bottom