Help with peachick color and gender.

Hello All,
I am new at hatching Peachicks. I had one hatch out of 6 eggs but that is OK.
She is supposed to be Java Green Maticus/White. I have no idea what that looks like.
I am sending photos with this, hopefully.
Carol

Will have to download later. Can't get photos from iPhone
wink.png
lol.png
hu.gif

I think you might have been ripped off. If you paid alot for it I would not use that breeder again. Muticus green peafowl do not exist in the white coloration so any white bird with green peafowl ancestry is a spalding. Green peafowl have only one color form so if someone tried to sell you a white bird as a pure muticus I would stay far away from them in the future.

Hello Sseabass,
Judging from your pic what you have is an adorable peachick. It looks to be a split of unknown color to a white or pied. Its hard to judge a spalding at hatch and it might take a few months before anyone can take a good guess at the lineage and sex of your chick. I applaud you on your success and please keep us posted,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

I agree. I thought the description was for a Java Green and a White. When I received them and there were non marked with just W, I contacted him. He said they a a cross. I am assuming that is what produces Pied? I know very little. She? has quite a few white feathers on one wing And just a few on other.
The other strange thing he did was to seriously wrap the eggs completely and tightly with bubble wrap, no air, and mailed on a Fri. after I specifically asked to mail no later than a Thurs.
I did all of this on EBay, before I discovered BYC. Next time I need eggs, I will ask someone here. I bought an incubator just to be able to hatch some Peafowl. It seemed with all commercial sites, I would have to buy 8 chicks or I could get 6 eggs on eBay. Decided to go with the eggs.

I am totally enjoying learning all about incubating. The only thing that I can't figure out, is how does ones get to continue the whole incubation/ hatching experience without becoming overtaken with all these beautiful chicks that then grow up to be adults ??
seabass

I agree. I thought the description was for a Java Green and a White. When I received them and there were non marked with just W, I contacted him. He said they a a cross. I am assuming that is what produces Pied? I know very little. She? has quite a few white feathers on one wing And just a few on other.
The other strange thing he did was to seriously wrap the eggs completely and tightly with bubble wrap, no air, and mailed on a Fri. after I specifically asked to mail no later than a Thurs.
I did all of this on EBay, before I discovered BYC. Next time I need eggs, I will ask someone here. I bought an incubator just to be able to hatch some Peafowl. It seemed with all commercial sites, I would have to buy 8 chicks or I could get 6 eggs on eBay. Decided to go with the eggs.

I am totally enjoying learning all about incubating. The only thing that I can't figure out, is how does ones get to continue the whole incubation/ hatching experience without becoming overtaken with all these beautiful chicks that then grow up to be adults ??
seabass

It wouldn't create Pied. For there to be a Pied is one White gene and one Pied gene. This would be rather a Spalding split to White or Pied. My guess though is it's not going to be a 50% Spalding. Post more pictures when it dries out and becomes fluffy. My guess is that it's going to be closer to a 25% Spalding split to White.

I wanted to attach updated pics of Peabody the little Peachick of mine that started this thread. He is such a wonderful bird and a beauty at that if I say so myself as a proud momma. These were taken about 2 weeks ago. Thanks for looking everyone.

Back
Top Bottom