Help with peachick color and gender.

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by gefrog, Jul 23, 2016.

1. gefrog

gefrog Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    this is my one and only peafowl, Peabody. He/she was a month old yesterday. I hatched him/ myself from incubator. Could one of the peafowl veterans help this amateur out with by telling me this Peachicks color and would anyone like to take a guess at gender though I am sure he/she is too young. Thank you all so much in advance.[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

-Kathy

3. gefrog

gefrog Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you, I'm sure I will enjoy and learn a lot from everyone.

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I am far from being a color expert, but it does look like it might be a black shoulder?

-Kathy

5. gefrog

gefrog Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you. I looked as some pics and charts and thought that it might be but seeing as it's my first and it was from an unmarked egg I incubated I was unsure. Should I possibly be able to tell gender of a black shoulder at around 3 months or so? Thanks

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    The more experienced people can probably help you... my experience with black shoulder is limited to one chick that I raised.

-Kathy

7. gefrog

gefrog Just Hatched

Jul 20, 2016
    Thank you Kathy for all your help thus far, it is greatly appreciated.

8. KsKingBee

KsKingBee Overrun With Chickens

It is indeed a Black Shoulder pattern and most likely either Purple or Cameo. It could be one of the sex linked colors or even Spaulding because of the light tan colors. Yes you will be able to tell its sex at three months for sure. Is there any way you can find out what the parents are?

9. EyeKeyYou

EyeKeyYou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2012
    Pretty dark already so Blackshoulder male.

10. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    [​IMG] and Welcome to the Peafowl group! Hope you continue to have a wonderful time here! We're glad to have you join us!

As I'm not the best at peafowl identification all I can say, in agreement with @casportpony and @KsKingBee , is that your chick in indeed a Black Shoulder. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by