Help with Peachicks Please

There are two types of poo, the wet watery and white poo is urine.
Thanks. I know that but I'm mainly concerned because all of the poos from one hen are like this. She's only done one solid one and it was the one that had a worm in it.

Before this, the majority of poos were solid, medium - dark brown coloured with a white part and there might have been one or two runny ones per day. Could the sudden change be from the worms? I thought diarrhea was a very bad sign?

I don't worry about their actual weight as much as I worry about lack of weight gain.
View attachment 2804523

View attachment 2804524
Thank you. I'm going to start weighing them regularly.

The main problem is identifying individuals to track them. Of the 10, I can only tell 3 apart, the two little ones and one that is a black shoulder. I bought some spiral leg bands but they were obviously too big because they fell off. They also had lots of trouble walking with them on and I felt awful about it. I bought a series of sizes but the smallest I have are 12mm. Do you know how old they will be when that size might fit them?

In the meantime, I suppose I can track the average weights for the majority and track the little ones individually, since they're the ones I'm worried about.

The chicks still build an immunity, all we are doing is removing the cocci load from their body once per month to give them a leg up in building resistance by removing the heavy load. They will still have cocci exposure that they can build resistance to, we are just removing the heavy load and reducing the damage to the organs cocci causes.

You must keep an ever-vigilant eye on those leg bands especially if the chicks are hard to catch. As the bird grows the bands will get tight and possibly cause damage. We use colored zip ties and find that we have to replace them three to four times from the time they hatch to the time they are four months old. Once they are old enough and we decide they are keepers we will apply a metal band with our name and ID number.
IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3879.JPG
IMG_3940.JPG
IMG_4069.JPG

They are getting cuter by the day. I'm starting to see different personalities. I've been spending a long time in with them and hand feeding them and a couple of them are starting to jump onto my arm or lap. It's so wonderful.

The little head crest feathers are starting to grow and they're all pecking each others'. The black shoulder seems to be getting the worst of it, I'm guessing because the feathers stand out more on its bright yellow head. There was a small bit of blood there today. I'm thinking it's natural behaviour but do I need to intervene?

Another unusual development is that my peahens have started having the occasional fight. They have never fought before. It doesn't seem too serious so far but I'll keep my eye on them. Do you think it's a sign of stress?

@KsKingBee This is the Toltrazuril product my vet has ordered for me. I'm hoping they'll have it tomorrow. Can you please advise on the dosage for the peahens + peachicks? Can I put it in their water?

112720.jpg

Perfect! I just ordered another liter yesterday too. That is going to last a long time for only a couple of chicks. Put 12.0 ml in a gallon of water but as I explained earlier do not make a whole gallon as its effectiveness expires the second day. Just make an amount they will drink in a days time.

Perfect! I just ordered another liter yesterday too. That is going to last a long time for only a couple of chicks. Put 12.0 ml in a gallon of water but as I explained earlier do not make a whole gallon as its effectiveness expires the second day. Just make an amount they will drink in a days time.
Thanks so much. I'll make it up fresh each day at that dosage. Do I do it for two days in a row?

The vet said they could only get the 1l size but they're going to dispense 250ml for me and keep the rest. I'll be re-doing it every month, is that right?

Back
Top Bottom