Help with Peachicks Please

If a chick weighs 100 grams, here is the math:

10 mg/kg twice a day - 0.1 x 10 / 25 = 0.04 ml
15 mg/kg twice a day - 0.1 x 10 / 25 = 0.06 ml

Those seem to be the two most commonly prescribed amounts.
Thanks. Is that 0.4ml per kg twice per day for the 2.5% Baytril?

Yes, either 0.4 or 0.6.

The formula when weighing on kg is:
Weigh of bird in kg, times dose (mg per kg), divide by mg per ml.

Your Baytril is 25 mg per ml.
Your dose would be either 10 or 15 mg/kg.
Thank you. Do you think they need it based on my poo pictures in the poo thread? If they are acting well?

The birds are still acting normal but I decided to give the Baytril anyway because it's been going on so long now and the runny droppings are not clearing up. I started one peahen and one peacock on it and if it works I'll do the other peahen.

The new issue is that now, for the first time, I'm seeing unusual peachick droppings. It's just been one per day in the whole aviary for the last couple of days, although it's possible there are some I haven't found. I can't tell which peachick it's from but they are all still acting the same. They have been making that funny noise I posted about but I think it's just a vocalisation, at least I hope so. I don't see any head shaking or anything. They have started honking a bit as well. All of the rest of the peachick droppings are normal.

So now I'm wondering if I should give the peachicks the Baytril as well? Or can a dropping or two like that among normal ones be ok? They have had two rounds of 5 days of Fenbendazole and their next Toltrazuril is due next week. They are 7 weeks old today.

Here is the peachick poo.
Peachick 21 Sep.jpg

I don't know, could be diet, heat, are any of them acting sick?
No, not at all. When I first saw one I thought it must have been something it ate but then it happened another couple of days. I think there were two like that today. It's definitely not heat anyway. It's getting cold here now.

I'm not keen on this Baytril anyway. The birds I've given it to so far seem to have totally lost their appetites. Would that be normal?

Baytril is a 'big gun' and should not be given lightly, it should be used when and if a bird has a real problem. Do not overthink these things or over-medicate, especially when you are looking at a slight problem. Peas can hide being sick but don't think just because a poo looks a 'little off' that you have to act right away. Years ago I got caught in such a problem that I was medicating beyond the point of helping the bird and it finally died from a yeast infection.

Back
Top Bottom