Help with Peachicks Please

The birds you gave the Baytril to and lost their appetites I would give a few spoons of yogurt.
Thank you. I'll do that now straight away. They have a probiotic in their water at the moment but I'll give the yoghurt as well. I really appreciate all of your advice.

Last edited:
Baytril is a 'big gun' and should not be given lightly, it should be used when and if a bird has a real problem. Do not overthink these things or over-medicate, especially when you are looking at a slight problem. Peas can hide being sick but don't think just because a poo looks a 'little off' that you have to act right away. Years ago I got caught in such a problem that I was medicating beyond the point of helping the bird and it finally died from a yeast infection.
Do you remember what the symptoms were of the yeast infection? I'm just wondering if my birds might have something more like a yeast or a fungus.

I'm still having the ongoing liquid urates. I managed to find a different vet and she gave me Tylan. The birds are all on it but it's having an erratic effect. It seemed to be working at first. Even my peahen, Pihu, started doing normal droppings for the first time in weeks. She was still doing one or two liquid ones as well but I thought the improvement overall was a great sign.

Since a couple of days ago, they all seem to have regressed and the droppings are worse again. I rang the vet and they said to keep them on the Tylan. They've been on it for over a week. I am scared of over medicating them. Do you have any idea why they would improve on an antibiotic and then regress again? The vet was saying it could be a virus but it's been going on for weeks now so a virus doesn't seem likely to me.

I sent the new vet some faecal samples and I'm waiting for the results but it's taking so long. It's been two weeks now and I have no idea when I'll get the results. If it is fungal will it show up? The samples were taken before they started the Tylan.

My peacocks are also starting to look a bit ruffled but the weather has become very cold and they are still lacking feathers due to moulting. I'm really worried because they look so scruffy. I also noticed one of them has a white patch on his face. I wonder if that is a further sign of something fungal going on. He is one of the birds I gave Baytril to but he only had 2 doses of it. All the birds have also had yoghurt and probiotics.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?
Jataayu.jpg

And here is one of his droppings from today.
IMG_20211005_175933.jpg

Treat the chicks as soon as you get the Pantatex and do not allow any other water for the two-day treatment. Use 3.0 ml per quart of water and make fresh both days.
@KsKingBee I am getting a week and a half old peachick this weekend to put with my 10 day old hatched peachick that is lonely. My 10 day old has been in the house not on the ground but the new 8 day old has been with its mother outside I believe. Should I give the new one this treatment prior to putting it in with my 10 day old or should it be fine since its so young?

If a chick has been on the ground with its mother it is probably carrying cocci and is building up some immunity. I would treat it before introducing it to the chick you already have as it probably does not have any cocci. Remember that not being on the ground does not assure you that it has no cocci. Cocci is airborne and can be transmitted on your hands, or clothing.

If a chick has been on the ground with its mother it is probably carrying cocci and is building up some immunity. I would treat it before introducing it to the chick you already have as it probably does not have any cocci. Remember that not being on the ground does not assure you that it has no cocci. Cocci is airborne and can be transmitted on your hands, or clothing.
Thank you! @KsKingBee

Back
Top Bottom