Help with Pekin Ducks Please!

sharonsducks

Hatching
Aug 7, 2021
Someone dropped two beautiful Pekin Ducks in my backyard yesterday (when I wasn't home) and I need help! I have a lake in my backyard so they seem happy with that but am I supposed to feed them and get a "house" for them? Are they ok on their own? Should I call someone to pick them up and take them to a safer place? I am an animal lover but have only raised cats and dogs - never ducks! Thank you for any help - I am lost!

pekin ducks legally should not be in the wild, since they literally cannot live without human care every single day. if you keep them they need a predator proof shelter every night, waterfowl specific feed, and health care. if not i recommend calling a rescue (not a wildlife place, since pekin are domestic)

pekin ducks legally should not be in the wild, since they literally cannot live without human care every single day. if you keep them they need a predator proof shelter every night, waterfowl specific feed, and health care. if not i recommend calling a rescue (not a wildlife place, since pekin are domestic)
I will look up numbers in the morning to see if a rescue place can take them. I am in Florida. They are beautiful but they look "lost" in this new environment and I feel so bad for them.

Were you able to find an animal rescue? I'm sorry to hear this about the ducks. They are domesticated and won't survive long without food and shelter. So sad. That said, ducks can be a big responsibility, and it's not yours unless you choose it, so I hope you are able to find someone to help them. If you choose to take them on, they do need a house, duck food, water, etc. Ducks can be charming pets and can provide eggs if they're females. You can browse the forums here and get a lot of information if you decide to make them yours.

Big thank you to Rachel Padgett of Polk County Animal Control who helped my husband put the two birds in a cage so he could transport them to St. Charles Vet Hospital in Davenport. The one is in pretty bad shape but at least he will be helped and not suffering in my backyard. Thank you for your help!!

Back
Top Bottom