Help with picking....:(

chickenlover51

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
This morning, I went in to check my week-old chicks only to find that they had one chicken down, picking the daylights out of him. He was bleeding pretty bad and the rest of the chicks were going after him like CRAZY! I had a time trying to even get the chicks off him long enough so I could get the picked chick out of the pen. I have never seen aggressiveness like that before. They were like a bunch of little cannibals.
ep.gif
We do have a red bulb in the heat lamp, and it is around 80 to 85 degrees. They are on chick starter, non-medicated, sugar water, which I am cutting them down on. They have plenty of space. Just not sure what else to do. I started putting some grass clippings in to try and keep them occupied. They went after that chick so fast, once they drew blood, and he would have been dead in a matter of minutes. I just happen to stop by the coop on my way to the garden to check on the chicks. Good thing I did. There wouldn't have been much left of that chick if I hadn't.
sad.png
Anymore ideas for picking? Thanks!! I appreciate it!
thumbsup.gif

My goodness! That's terrible!

The only thing that's wrong that I can see is the sugar water - how long have they had that? The sugar water is usually only for a very short time when the chicks have been stressed or injured, maybe that made them crazy?

have never heard of that as long as they have plenty of room. meaning they can totally avoid the heat lamp if they want to. The only thing different is the sugar water. i have never used it.

It will be a week Sunday that they have been on the sugar water. I never thought that could do it. No more sugar water for them. That is exactly what they acted like was "crazy." Thanks!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Is it possible there was something originally wrong with the chick that got one to pick and then the rest joined in once it was injured. Maybe it broke a feather playing or something else that caught another chicks eye and that was all it took for the mob to set it. Usually my chicks are quick to do whatever the other chick is doing... no individual thinkers here
roll.png

Lol! Yep, it is funny how they follow the lead of others. When one gets interested in something, they all do. Pretty cute....
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom