Help with possible health decline in chicken

rosieandgirls

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 23, 2013
Asheville, NC
I have a year old GLW hen who is molting. She is loosing weight and her comb is very pale. She also has very dry flakey skin. I have checked her for lice and mites but she is clear. She acts alright otherwise? Worming? If so what is the best worming suggestions? Thanks for your help.

If she has never been dewormed then that's where I'd start. Valbazen is a very safe and effective dewormer and it's good for birds who have never been dewormed because it works slowly. So if a bird has a heavy load of worms you don't have so much risk of the bird getting a blockage of dead worms or toxicity from a bunch of dead worms. Safeguard is another good dewormer but if there's any chance a bird is really full of worms then I'd use Valbazen first. Dose for a standard size bird is .5 ml, repeat in 10 days.

I have a year old GLW hen who is molting. She is loosing weight and her comb is very pale. She also has very dry flakey skin. I have checked her for lice and mites but she is clear. She acts alright otherwise? Worming? If so what is the best worming suggestions? Thanks for your help.
The pale comb is normal with molting birds--it will get red again when she begins laying once more. The weight loss isn't the unusual, either, as molting is hard on chickens and can cause things like that. But just to be safe, I would worm her. Good broad-spectrum wormers include Valbazen, SafeGuard, and the Worminator (flubendazole). Wazine and Ivermectin are sometimes used, too, but they are rather ineffective. Most wormers can be purchased at a livestock supply store, or you can order the Worminator (which is what I use) from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

To help your hen through her molt, you can feed high-protein foods like scrambled eggs, mealworms, and wet cat food. If you want to get some weight on her, fatty, high energy foods like corn, other grains, and bread will help. Vitamins in her water would help strengthen her, as well.

The pale comb is normal with molting birds--it will get red again when she begins laying once more. The weight loss isn't the unusual, either, as molting is hard on chickens and can cause things like that. But just to be safe, I would worm her. Good broad-spectrum wormers include Valbazen, SafeGuard, and the Worminator (flubendazole). Wazine and Ivermectin are sometimes used, too, but they are rather ineffective. Most wormers can be purchased at a livestock supply store, or you can order the Worminator (which is what I use) from here: http://www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=584

To help your hen through her molt, you can feed high-protein foods like scrambled eggs, mealworms, and wet cat food. If you want to get some weight on her, fatty, high energy foods like corn, other grains, and bread will help. Vitamins in her water would help strengthen her, as well.
X2, very good information. However, if the bird is molting, you shouldn't use Safeguard. Safeguard contains Fenbendazole, which can cause deformed feathers if used during molting. Valbazen would be a better idea.

Back
Top Bottom