help with poxs

cottontop1958

Hatching
8 Years
May 12, 2011
this is the second time my chickens have come down with the dry poxs. a couple of years ago i had a flock of about 30 chickens there had been no problems with them untill we had a exceptual wet summer and one of my daughters brought me over 4 quil from her friends mother. and my daughter n law was moving and she left her cocktails , looking back on things the quils were pinned and the cocktails were in the barn, it wasnt untill we started hanging them outside by the quils and the feed from the quils i started dumping to give them fresh each day that i remember that the chickens were free to roam and eat that this occured. we searched for the diease and matched the chicken pox to be the one, scared not having a vet around at the time we killed and burnt the chickens, cleaned the area with bleach and racked the area to clean , limed the area and removed all debri from the area. i thought everything
was good it has been about a 1-1/2 ago,

i put in a order for 25 new chicks this year recieved them in feb. had every vacacin given before sending them to me, thought i was safe this go around.
it has been about 3 weeks now and they have it again. the only contact there has been was i raised 5 duck chicks with them. they free range and there are cow birds and curloos that walk with them in the yard.
i need help, i need to know why my birds r coming down with this? i am using vinagar cider and broiler booster its a vitiamin boost.
i was using lime and diamusearth on the dirt and in there food.
this did not occur untill the rain started every afternoon. i have read about this more and i will not kill my chickens this time because they say that if they live thur they will not get this again! i had two hens that were sitting the first time and they still live today and have no symtons.

cottontop1958

Welcome to BYC. Fowl pox is a virus carried by mosquitoes. It lasts 3-5 weeks, and the dry pox usually isn't that serious unless your chickens have numerous scabs. Do you live in a very southern state? It can be bad there. Pictures could help. The wet pox is more serious and can cause lesions inside the beak and throat that may block the airway. Look inside the beaks with a light just to make sure, if you have any really acting sick. There is no treatment for pox, and most will recover and be immune to that strain for life.

Back
Top Bottom