Help with Predator ID

Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
Sorry for your losses and hope things get better for ya.
It sounds more like a possum to me....if it were a coon there would be more dead at a time. A possum can hide and sleep in very small spaces and the size of your birds are the ideal size for them. They can climb and rest in trees or on the ground at the base of trees or even under any building within your fenced area. They can be active at any time during the day, but are more active thru the night hours, but have seen them out from 10am-4pm, too. They also are a scavenger for the most part and with your description it would fit as to the targeted portions of the bird that was eaten....the timing of the kills also fits....a coon would devastate the flock in just a couple of days. Sure hope ya can get the critter. I have even seen them hiding inside the roots of a really big oak tree.

I know this was from a while ago, but I just wanted to let you know that I think you were absolutely right! My 2 boys went to close the pop door on the coop last night & there was a HUGE possum on top of the enclosed run! My oldest ran back to the house, grabbed his BB gun & lets just say, he "took care" of the problem. Lets hope that solved our predator issue... well, for now anyway!

Back
Top Bottom