Help With Predator-proofing, Please!

KMJonzy

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2019
Northern Montana
We're planning a chicken coop/run, and our best spot (we think) is along a wood wind break fence in our yard. We live on the hi-line in northern Montana, so wind is a big issue here. My concern with this placement, though, is that the 8 ft fence might allow access to predators who want to climb up the opposite side and come up over the top. What are your thoughts? Does the predator risk outweigh the wind protection, and we should pick a different spot? Or is there a way to predator-proof a coop and run along the fence?
fence.JPG

Note: The fence would not actually be incorporated as a part of the coop/run, we had just planned to put them by the fence to offer some wind protection.

:welcome

Using the fence for wind protection shouldn't be a problem. For predator proofing I'd recommend it for all sides not just the fence side. How many chickens are you looking at starting with?

Thanks! Yes, definitely plan to predator proof the full enclosure, I was just primarily worried about the fence creating a better vantage point for predators.

I'm hoping to get somewhere from 4-6 chickens. I was planning on 6, but in reality it will probably depend on what I can come up with for coop. We live on a farm and are pretty handy, but we have a TON of farm projects and won't have the time to build a coop ourselves. I'm trying to find something to purchase, but am just finding junk out there on the market so far. :(

There are some great coop build ideas on here as well as shed conversions. Lots of Montana folks too that can give advice regarding weather conditions and good breeds for your area.

One suggestion I'd give in regards to the predator situation is to put the coop and run far enough away from the fence so something that would did under it won't be able to come up under a skirting.

Many of the coops/runs at farm stores and online do seem flimsy to me. I have had pretty good luck on Craigslist. That's where my avatar coop was discovered, and I purchased it for less than half of its retail price from two people who, with a serious case of chicken math, decided after one year to build a Much Bigger Coop.

I have also snagged an Urban Coop at less than half price (not my favorite, but it works) and two great built-by-owners coops -- quite sturdy and with good ventilation -- for less than $200 from Craigslist.

Good luck with your building and your potential flock.

You said the fence isn’t part of
Your setup. In that case it won’t provide any advantage or disadvantage to any predator.

If you enclose your coop and run in all directions including the top (not the floor, but utilizing an 18” apron approach as pictured) with 1/2” 19 gauge hardware cloth with 1 1/4” narrow crown staples shot in, nothing is getting in except a bear or mountain lion but I think in Montana you’re probably going to have to deal with that as. Worst case scenario no matter how you build the coop and run.

For perspective, my coop and run is basically in the woods and no predator problems. Someday the black bear will decide to get in probably.
You can utilize electric fence vs these bigger animals, even just one hot wire.

Attachments

• BD138F37-35D3-4BD0-A541-36E061878DD6.jpeg
    BD138F37-35D3-4BD0-A541-36E061878DD6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
We have hawks so we keep our coop closer to the house and have a backyard spotlite at nite. People deter predators so being near and spending time out with them helps. Also the chickens always run under the brush and trees and that seems to stop the hawks. We also let the sparrows eat the grain so the hawks can go after easier prey than chickens. Our ckickens are free range yard birds every day. The roosters are very good at watching for hawks they sound the alarm and everybody runs for cover.
Also I patrol for anything burrowing under the coop walls and clean the coops every morning looking for rodents.

If you're in Montana, you're probably going to want electric fencing, in case a bear or mountain lion turns up. That's about the only thing that keeps 'em out.

F1378BD3-95B8-4CD0-A7B2-934E4B8405E5.jpeg
I built my run and coop in the corner (fence on two sides) just for wind protection. What is critical is to wire and secure the Top. 1/3 of the run cover is tin roof the other is wired. What I found Is my current challenge is smaller birds (especially in winter) that come for water & feed. I’ve had hawks just perch on the fence and wait for them. I’ve had hawks sitting on top of the tin roof.
My fence keeps out dogs and deer (I garden) coyotes have not breached it. But anything that climbs or digs or flys could get in. Last summer I trapped 10 skunks who would simply dig under. I haven’t had a breach of my run. I just set a trap tonight as a matter of fact. Found tracks in the fresh snow so it looks like a raccoon climbed over.

Back
Top Bottom