1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

HELP with predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by peep peep banty, Oct 19, 2010.

1. peep peep banty

peep peep banty New Egg

Oct 18, 2010
    [​IMG] Lost four, month old chicks, in with banty mother, three survived but the mother is also gone. Space under coop the 2" side of a 2x4 which I had blocked with a 2x4 so the babies would not get out from under. Something moved the board, got under that small space and inside coop, there was a puncture wound in each chicks head about the size of a 22 caliber bullet, no other wounds or parts missing just dead chicks. One in the nesting box, two in one corner, one in another corner. Mom is nowhere to be found. Is there a farmet that sucks blood and leaves the entire body??? Would it have taken the momma away as well??

Sad in California, she was my favorite chicken, and raised many babies in that coop and I have never seen anything like it in my 30 years of raising backyardchickens !! Any response would be appreciated.

2. BunnyMomma

BunnyMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Olin, North Carolina
    Oh I'm so sorry! [​IMG] I have no idea what got your babies, but I hope someone here has some ideas.
    Bunny from NC [​IMG]

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think its a possum i hear they like the brains the best. im sorry for your loss its hard losing them. and [​IMG] its a sad thread to welcome you in but maybe being freindly will cheer you up some

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Sorry for your loss! Sounds like a weasel to me. Plug the hole where it is getting in, because it will be back. Weasels usually just suck blood and also kill for the fun of it.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It really sounds like weasel to me too. You've been so fortunate if this is the worst thing that has happened in 30 years. Hopefully, you can fix the hole and continue your good luck streak. I'm sorry for your losses.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    sounds like a weasel a snap type rat trap will dispatch a weasel quick and humanely

7. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    weasels make a puncture wound then lap the blood sounds like a weasel to me.

8. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I totally agree.

9. slorette

slorette Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2010
    NH
    Quote:It was a weasel. I am 100% sure... I just went through a similar experience myself. I was unaware of a very small opening that a weasel was able to get threw. I lost my 8 week old chick & her mama first, then a hen, then my rooster & 2 more hens. When I lost my rooster & 2 hens I went out to open the coop for the morning because my chickens are free range, & the weasel was actually in the coop sleeping in hay. Needless to say, the weasel is now dead. I just wish I had found how it was entering my coop before I lost almost all of my flock. I was really sad to loose mama & her baby [​IMG] when I found my chickens dead they had puncture woiunds where the weasel bit them & drank their blood, it looked just as you described, like a 22 shot & that is exactly what the weasel ended up getting! I actually ended up lining the whole inside of my coop ( floors walls, everything) with rabbit wire because it is smaller then chicken wire & nothing is going to get through it.

10. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    My vote is also for a weasel. I've had them in my coop, too. They don't need a very big hole to get in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by