Help with predators

Thanks, all. Yes, the puppies have been tormenting the chickens. They have been 'playing' but something else got in and ravaged the flock. The puppies are quarartined for now, the fence is fixed, and a camera is in place.

Thanks, all. Yes, the puppies have been tormenting the chickens. They have been 'playing' but something else got in and ravaged the flock. The puppies are quarartined for now, the fence is fixed, and a camera is in place.
I thought the 2 birds disappeared with no clues, not even feathers, as to what happened?

It can take a long time(up to a year or two) and lots of training effort before 'guard' dogs can be trusted alone with their charges.

Yes. Something got in and took chickens, lock, stock, and barrel. However, after that, I found the dogs chasing the chickens around. They are border collies and are 'herding' them. However, after having had something get in and take chickens, this was the frosting on the cake.

I think the puppies chased the birds and 2 flew out,
then puppies continued to chase or 'herd' the birds cause Oooeee, what fun!
That is the most likely assessment with no other clues.

Not sure why you chose herding dogs as poultry guardians and left them alone with the birds with not enough training in the first place.

Guess I'm done explaining and talking about this. I can live without judgement and sarcasm. There is more to this than I care to explain here because the more I explain, the more I open myself up to criticism. Forget it.

It's been pretty traumatic here. I raised the birds from chicks. It's been a bad week. They didn't fly over. The first ones disappeared completely. Then I found body parts near the fence.

I have been there too. Pups now in that window for next 18 months or so here they have little benefit except when supervised. Two at same time greatly increases the fun (sarcasm there). I have lost more birds by several-fold to my own dogs but in the end effort worth it.

Back
Top Bottom