Help with rabbit -- off balance and possible head tilt?

Skye'sDucks

Crowing
5 Years
May 13, 2018
The 'too much sunshine' sunshine state
To the rabbit people on this forum, do any of you know if you can help me?

This morning when I went outside my older lionhead rabbit (10-11) fell off his balcony, and it wasnt just an accident. He tipped over and fell sideways. As I watched him hop around, he appeared a little off balance on his left side.

His head is the tiniest bit tilted to the left side, hardly noticable. At one point he was sitting with his legs kind of spread out, as if trying to steady himself.

When I tossed fresh hay in there, he started to eat it. When sitting still he almost gets that pained look in his eye, but he does appear to be acting pretty normal. Was just as excited as ever to get his morning treat of pineapple.

I've been doing research but nothing really answers my specific case. I doubt a stroke because both eyes are functioning normally, his mouth is fine, no sagging or drooling.

Editing to say that I'd like some opinions first before rushing him to a vet. Thank you.

I can try to get pictures or videos if needed.

Last edited:
My sister's had a few issues with ear infections/ear mites causing issues in rabbits. She treated with iodine, but there are things that can cause ear infections that are not treatable with iodine. With that in mind--if a vet's an option, please go. He can take a sample and offer a diagnosis based on results (you know, if an infection is the cause). I would also administer the ever-recommended vitamins, in case of deficiency.

I'll have to look into iodine, weve used mineral oil in the past for earmites and it always worked.

Actually I did see some wax/crustiness down in his left ear when i looked with a flashlight, so I'm planning on booking an appointment hopefully on Monday with the vet and put some mineral oil in his ear until then to see if that helps.

Thank you for your post. The vet is an option and we can afford it, the only reason I'm hesitating is because hes not showing serious signs and nobody wants a nice big vet bill and then later learn they could have treated it at home ;)

But of course, I want to make sure he gets better and to do the best for my pets. If he shows more symptoms or he gets worse I'll look into getting an earlier vet check.

I'll have to look into iodine, weve used mineral oil in the past for earmites and it always worked.

Actually I did see some wax/crustiness down in his left ear when i looked with a flashlight, so I'm planning on booking an appointment hopefully on Monday with the vet and put some mineral oil in his ear until then to see if that helps.

Thank you for your post. The vet is an option and we can afford it, the only reason I'm hesitating is because hes not showing serious signs and nobody wants a nice big vet bill and then later learn they could have treated it at home ;)

But of course, I want to make sure he gets better and to do the best for my pets. If he shows more symptoms or he gets worse I'll look into getting an earlier vet check.
Inner ear infections can be very nasty. If it's affecting his balance, it's probably actually deep in the ear, and it can progress quickly, which is why I would still strongly advise the vet.

Last edited:
I know, I was reading a lot about them this morning. I'm now rethinking that above plan as you remind me...but I dont know if I can convince my mom. Shes out at some stores right now, but I'll ask her if theres time to see if they can fit us in.

Gah, it's frustrating that I havent gotten my driver's license yet. I have to make sure it fits with my mom's schedual and my sisters work schedual, but again, I'll see if we can squeeze in a time today or tomorrow. Hopefully it wouldn't be too late.

Now you're making me rethink, because I'm wondering if it can be an ear infection, seeing that I saw something in his ear. (Not being disrespectful) but my mom does influence my thoughts and she doesnt seem to understand how serious this can get.....plus the fact that the vet is expensive, despite us being able to afford it.
Bleh, my thoughts are a mess. Ivr hardly been able to concentrate o anything else today! Sorry I started rambling lol.

If you see crustiness in the ear, it is a good chance it is ear mites. The vet can give you a quick diagnoses and some medicine, probably an injection, that is very effective. If a vet is out of the question you can get any of the ear mite medicines available at the pet store meant for cats, and they ought to work on your rabbit. If you treat for ear mites and there aren't any, the worst that can happen is nothing. I have treated ear infections in dogs, on the advice of a vet, with one of those antibiotic tubes meant for infusing the udder of cows with mastitis.

If you see crustiness in the ear, it is a good chance it is ear mites. The vet can give you a quick diagnoses and some medicine, probably an injection, that is very effective. If a vet is out of the question you can get any of the ear mite medicines available at the pet store meant for cats, and they ought to work on your rabbit. If you treat for ear mites and there aren't any, the worst that can happen is nothing. I have treated ear infections in dogs, on the advice of a vet, with one of those antibiotic tubes meant for infusing the udder of cows with mastitis.
Thank you for the reply! Didn't know if this thread would be buried or not so I never replied, but we did take him to the vet yesterday morning and he does have an ear infection--he's on meds now for a week and it should clear up--it's still in the outer ear so it isn't bad. :)

But I'll keep that in mind about ear mites! I swear before that we were able to get rid of ear mites with just mineral oil, but I'll remember what you told me.

As for this rabbit, I saw no crustiness, but I did see some wax down in his left ear, which turns out to be the ear the infection is in.

Thank you for the reply! Didn't know if this thread would be buried or not so I never replied, but we did take him to the vet yesterday morning and he does have an ear infection--he's on meds now for a week and it should clear up--it's still in the outer ear so it isn't bad. :)

But I'll keep that in mind about ear mites! I swear before that we were able to get rid of ear mites with just mineral oil, but I'll remember what you told me.

As for this rabbit, I saw no crustiness, but I did see some wax down in his left ear, which turns out to be the ear the infection is in.

Thank you for the update. I have dealt with ear infections in a number of different critters, including myself, but never in a rabbit. I am glad he is getting better. I can sympathize with your rabbit. Ear infections are no fun and I can tell you from personal experience that they can play havoc with one's equilibrium.

Back
Top Bottom