Help with run problem - pictures

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Southern Gardener, May 17, 2010.

1. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    I'm having a problem with my run washing and my chickens digging out. Any advice on how I can prevent this would be appreciated.
    Joan

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    I have the same problem to some extent - though our run is a 'secure' run, complete with 2x4 welded wire buried 20" and a roof...mine is small enough that I just shovel clean sand into the dug out areas each time I tidy up, and with the buried fencing around the perimeter, chickens can't get out (nor foxes in...). It looks like your run is quite large. I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

Nice lawn, by the way [​IMG]

3. Frogdogtimestwo

Frogdogtimestwo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    We had the same issue so I used concrete around the entire perimeter. Occasionally I will have to back fill their favorite hole next to the concrete but they are not able to get close to the fence to get out or critters get in.

*ETA a pic of what I did
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  4. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Colorado, yes I've had to shovel more dirt also, but it takes a LOT of dirt to back-fill the entire run.
    Frog, concrete might just work for me.

5. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    We went around the border of ours with concrete blocks and started adding a truckload of sand here and there. It raised the level of the run to be above the yard but the blocks hold it all in. We buy the sand from construction sources (not by the bag) and the cost isn't bad.

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My run is like Marie's, but we used 6x6 landscape timbers. There is hardware wire screwed to it and buried as well. Those chickens sure like to dig, don't they? Don't know if this is a solution for you, though, if your run is really large.

[​IMG]

7. Southern Gardener

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Thanks for the suggestions! Looks like I'll be buying landscape timbers! [​IMG]

8. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I've used bricks around the inside perimeter, laid into the ground most of the way & stood on end. Here you get them free from demolished buildings if you ask the right people. You could look on Freecycle or Craigslist. Or use cement pavers from a home improvement store. Home Depot sells their broken pavers for half price if your run is large.

Last edited: May 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by