Help with Scaly Legs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmerChef, Dec 14, 2010.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I got 5 chickens from an Amish auction about a month ago and some of them had scaly legs when I got them. thought it might have been from previous upkeep so I didn't do anything right away. I was reading some stuff about it, and saw things like WD-40 and Kerosine(From a 1958 chicken book). Is there anything "around the house" I could use, don't have either of these. How often should I put it on? Why do only some of the chickens have it?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Do you have a big ol jar of vaseline back in a cabinet somewhere??? That's what I used when dealing with leg mites on a roo we picked up. I soaked his feet in warm water (I used epsom salts, but just soaking in just warm water would help). Most chickens actually seem to enjoy soaking in a sink or tub if the water is warm and they're held gently but firmly in place - at least after the first 30 seconds or so...lol. I'd brush his feet/legs gently with a soft bristled toothbrush. They I'd dry his legs off and LIBERALLY coat his feet and legs in the vaseline. I did this every other day for 10 days (5 treatments).
    I'm not sure why some birds get leg mites more than others. Our roo is a feather footed breed, and I think they are more prone to it...

3. DianeS

DianeS Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Oregon
    I use cooking oil spray. (Like Pam or similar.) Of course I have a chicken that hates being picked up and won't hold still for me to slather anything on her legs - but she'll stand still and let me spray it on.

Basically you want to smother the mites that burrow under the leg scales and cause them to lift up. At least that's what I've been told. My chicken's legs are smoothing down slowly but surely.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Getting rid of this Roo's leg mites is only the start, now your whole area is infested and will keep re-appearing often and with more intensity if you don't treat, the Coop's/Run's/feed area's/Range area's/and all your other yard pet's as well and their area's too. Lest you want them in your house get it handled quick, cause it ain't a pretty thing to deal with. Never had them here, I am too smart to let that happen but a friend had some and he half a33ed the deal and it took him forever to rid of them.

AL

5. Irene

Irene Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2008
    First, gently sand/clean all the wood posts and perches and nest boxes in your coop. (Scaly legs/poor egg laying/loss of feathers, etc... are mostly caused by mites.) Then take some vegetable/animal dust that you can get at Lowe's or your local feed store, and coat the inside of the coop with a fine layer. (You can also put a little in their dust bath.) Then, preferably in the evening after they have roosted, take each affected chicken and quickly wash (with a washcloth) and dry their legs. Next, lather them with bag balm. This should be enough to help them heal. If not, repeat the bag balm in a couple of days. Bag balm can also be used on wattles and combs to get rid of black spots left by pesky flies or mosquitoes. Remember too, if you live in a cold climate, put a little vaseline on their wattles at night and that will protect them from freezing.

6. rockmaster

rockmaster Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2010
    your chickens have scaly mites. Try using thick petroium jelly on their legs and keep watching. The jelly should suffocate these little buggers. Rockmasters momma

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by