Help with sexing 6 week old mixed chicks.

Msyr

Songster
9 Years
Dec 27, 2014
Got this bunch 3 weeks ago, and I'm having trouble finding out gender. Some I'm quite certain about, but otherwise I'm clueless (won't say which just yet to avoid bias). It would be interesting if people could tell their breeds too. I believe they're all mutts though, so I'm not hoping for anything. Apparently they could have australorps, orpington, faverolle, silverudd, sussex, pavlovskaya and cream legbar genes, and were hatched from blue/green eggs. (at least according to the guy I bought them from)

I've given them color codes for simplicity

Blue (2).jpg Green (2).jpg Green.jpg Yellow.jpg Yellow (2).jpg Red (2).jpg 20210720_195117.jpg Pink (2).jpg 20210720_195117.jpg 20210721_183606.jpg 20210721_183720.jpg Orange.jpg Blue.jpg Pink.jpg Red.jpg

It would be interesting if people could tell their breeds too. I believe they're all mutts though, so I'm not hoping for anything. Apparently they could have australorps, orpington, faverolle, silverudd, sussex, pavlovskaya and cream legbar genes, and were hatched from blue/green eggs. (at least according to the guy I bought them from)

I've given them color codes for simplicity

I see the colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink.

The chicks are definitely mixes.

There's Cream Legbar in at least 4 of them (Red, Orange, Yellow, and Pink) because of the white barring.

There's also Pavlovskaya in at least 3 and maybe 4 of them because of the split combs (Red, Orange, Pink, and maybe Blue.)

Feathered feet must come from either Pavlovskaya or Faverolles (Red, Yellow, Blue, and Pink, but I can't tell about Orange and Green).

Crest of feathers on the head (all 6) must come from either Pavlovskaya or Cream Legbar.

Blue/Green eggs (laid by their mothers) must come from Silverudd or Cream Legbar.

They certainly could have some Australorp, Orpington, or Sussex, but there's nothing obvious that would tell me either way.

It might be as simple as Pavlovskaya rooster x Cream Legbar hen, but I think it's more likely that they are a complicated mix that happened over several generations.

I see the colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, pink.

The chicks are definitely mixes.

There's Cream Legbar in at least 4 of them (Red, Orange, Yellow, and Pink) because of the white barring.

There's also Pavlovskaya in at least 3 and maybe 4 of them because of the split combs (Red, Orange, Pink, and maybe Blue.)

Feathered feet must come from either Pavlovskaya or Faverolles (Red, Yellow, Blue, and Pink, but I can't tell about Orange and Green).

Crest of feathers on the head (all 6) must come from either Pavlovskaya or Cream Legbar.

Blue/Green eggs (laid by their mothers) must come from Silverudd or Cream Legbar.

They certainly could have some Australorp, Orpington, or Sussex, but there's nothing obvious that would tell me either way.

It might be as simple as Pavlovskaya rooster x Cream Legbar hen, but I think it's more likely that they are a complicated mix that happened over several generations.
Really appreciate the effort here, and super interesting. That probably makes the Cream Legbar mixes pretty hard to sex though (if only mine weren't quite manly...)

I actually found some pics of the parent birds, which I'm gonna borrow. Pretty sure the rooster you can barely see in the top is the father of the CL mixes. Due to red seemingly developing a beard, it seems this Faverolle is the mother. He's also the one with the most feathered feet. Screenshot_20210721-223537.jpg Screenshot_20210721-223704.jpg

Cockerels red, pink, orange and yellow, I am not 100% sure on yellow. Rest look like pullets
Aww, yeah, that's what I feared. Guess I had some hope for Yellow and Orange, as their comb is definitely a pink and not red-ish like Orange and Red. It's also super small in both, but I guess any color means rooster at that age.

How typical of me to get 2/3 males. Happened twice earlier with muscovies. I guess I used all my luck on my first chicks, getting 1 rooster and 3 hens. Although, I guess a 2/3 ratio isn't too bad, considering I've gotten just a few at a time and all unsexed. Still, seems I'll have to look for 2 more pullets... 😞

Back
Top Bottom