1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with sexing and bredd please :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by RochfoKev, Aug 9, 2013.

1. RochfoKev

RochfoKev Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi, i hatched my chicks and have what i think are 3 Light Sussex, could you look at the photo's and see if you think roo or pullet, i think maybe 2 are roos but hoping not, and also the last chick is that also a Light Sussex or could it be a White Maran, i thought none of the Marans hatched so I'm unsure because it has a few feathers on its legs.
    All the chicks are 4 weeks old
    Thanks for looking

Chick 1
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick 2

[​IMG]

Chick 3

Sussex? no black markings and feathers on the legs?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that both chick 1 and chick 2 are Light Sussex. The first one is definitely a male, and I believe (but am not as certain), that Chick 2 is a male as well. Both of them have very red, large combs for being only four weeks old. Chick 3 appears to be a White Marans, and it is a male also.

3. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Number 2 does have a smaller comb and is paler in colour so hoping for a hen, number 1 and 3 where the ones i thought were roo's due to the early redness of the combs.

Out of the 3 i was hoping 1 would be female [​IMG] i'm still in denial about number 2 [​IMG]

4. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Anyone think number 2 is a roo or should i get some better photo's? Chick 1 was the first i ever hatched call Olive soon to be renamed Oliver
    Also the third photo from the bottom has a black minorca in it, i have 3 and all of them have a comb similar, could they be roo's to or is it to early to tell with them?
    The only other 2 apart from the 11 Silkie's chicks are 2 Cream Legbars, and i know they are boy and girl.

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    I think Chick 2 is probably male but if you need further confirmation why don't you get some more photos of it that are similar poses as the photos of chick 3?

6. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Ok will do, its the only one that won't stay still :)

7. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    Heres some more picks of chick 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also have 3 black minorca's all 3 have large combs, could they be roo's also or is it just the breed?

Ckick 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Chick 5

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick 6

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Your Minorcas look like roosters too.

9. RochfoKev

Jun 30, 2013
    OMG, out of 8 chicks i could have 7 roo's.

10. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hope you've got room in your freezer... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by