Help with Sexing Australorp, Auracana, RIR, Copper Maran (2 1/2 weeks)

Wiggumsfield

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 19, 2013
For Easter I made a chicken coop big enough for 4-6 hens. We went to the livestock auction and won a box of assorted chicks. These peeps are growing fast and I was hoping to determine their sex if at all possible. They are 2 1/2 weeks. From what was written in the box I'm assuming we have 3 copper marans, 3 Australorp, 4 Araucanas and 1 Rhode Island red. Any help would be awesome as we are not going to have room for 11 soon.

If its too early to tell then we are happy to show them off anyways.
Thanks in advance. Guesses welcome :)

"Bishop" and "Nefrititi" (Auracanas) extremely calm and happy to be picked up.

"Finn" and "Beatrix" (other 2 Auracanas) also calm

"Brips" Copper Maran? (my 2 year old named her/him)

"Vic" and "Lips" 2 more Copper Marans (also named by my son)

"Red" (RIR)

3 Australorp (2 very Fiesty with pointy tails and bigger combs) one sitting down is fairly calm. 2 with hair on feet

Hope we have some pullets!

Thanks again,
Rebecca, Noel and Gavin

The first 2 that you said are araucanas are actually EEs. Araucanas are rumpless and your chicks have tails. I have EEs and they lay colored egga, have great personalitlys, and you can nevr really tell what they are going to look like. IF they are identical when they are chicks they could look completley different. I alaways have thought they are really cool. And the last 3 look like astralorps. These chicks are way to young to sex. Unless you can find someone who knows how to sex by feathers you will probably have to wait a few weeks. Also feather sexing isnt always acurate. Hoped this help and good luck with your chicks.

Thank you for the reply and for your help. Good to know that those 2 are EE's. Maybe the 2 black ones with tufts on their cheeks are Aracaunas or maybe they will develop tails too. I guess I will just have to be patient on this. I will post some pics in a few weeks if it looks like they develop any distinguishable features that may help with sexing.

Thanks again and cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom