1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Help with sexing quails

Discussion in 'Quail' started by klikk12, Jul 30, 2014.

1. klikk12

klikk12 Hatching

Jul 30, 2014
    Recently we've bought a pair of quails but may think they're males. Can you help us? You will find the photo below:

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. Quail Jailer

Quail Jailer Songster

Apr 30, 2014
    I dont raise any quail but Coturnix, so I don't know for sure, but...

If I understand correctly the females do not come in shades of blue so those would be males.

However there are lots of button people here, someone will roll in with the facts soon.

3. dc3085

dc3085 Crowing

One on the left is a male for sure. The one on the right probably is as well. We'll have to wait for GrandmaBird for a more conclusive answer.

4. Rashid100

Rashid100 Songster

Jul 13, 2014
    Both are darth vader males. I think the proper name is black face red breasted.

5. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Songster

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    dc and Rashid are correct both are males. the hens do not have the reddish feathers you see on these. Nice looking males but you will need to get them hens and soon or you might end up with fighting.
    They do not need a large tub of water either as these birds really should not get fully wet. The bodies are too small to generate enough heat to keep for getting ill from being wet. I know they can tolerate some wetness but it is best if they have a sand or dirt bath. Just use a smaller container for water and keep it clean and cool. They will also need oyster shell and I hope you are using game bird food with a protein of 28% or so. Anyway like I said nice looking males and good luck!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by