Help with Sick Chicken Please!

DougnChicks

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
1) She is a 10 month old Columbian Rock

2) Symptoms on first day: Tired, listless, floppy comb, less interested in food or anything else, minor clear nasal discharge. Tail held downward instead of upright.
Symptoms on Second day (today): Even more unmotivated to do anything. Lays down in corners of pen/coop, half on belly/half on left side. Limps (small cut on foot, but doesn't seem serious enough to cause limp) and stands on one foot when she stands. Still some interest in food, but diminished. All of previous days symptoms as well.

3) Just noticed something wrong yesterday, laid a normal egg the day before.

4) No sign of injury or mites

5) The only thing that happened is we switched feeds, but that was a week ago.

6) Eating and drinking minimally.

7) Soft homogenous tar-like black poop with normal amount of white. Also some green poops (ate a lot of grass I think) with bits of white.

8) I've given her a clove of garlic yesterday and today. Have been hand-feeding tastiest foods possible.

9 ) I'd like to treat her myself if possible or with medication obtained from a vet.

11) Small coop (3 sq.ft. per bird) shared with 3 other hens of the same age. Used to be shared with 4 others, but one died over winter after exhibiting similar symptoms. Bedding was leaves and straw. Cleaned out the coop yesterday in case that was part of the problem. Some mold in corners. Added fresh straw. The run is ~7 sq.ft. per bird. Used to be muddy until I got fresh straw 2 weeks ago. Birds sometimes free range in neighbor's back yards. There is a large group of sparrows that hangs out on briars near the coop, possible disease transmission.

Any help or ideas on what this could be would be much appreciated. I tried to look it up, but so many chicken diseases have the same symptoms.

Thanks!!!!!!

sorry your hen is not well. i would do a thorough check of her body. starting with the crop (normal and squishy? hard? filled with fluid?) and ending with her feet (swollen? bumblefoot?). check her vent for egg discharge or blood, and under the vent for hard spots, fluid, lumps, etc. which could indicate a tumor or infection. is she breathing normally, or congested? you could start her on an antibiotic on the off-chance she has a respiratory infection. try to keep her hydrated (with vitamins in the water, if you can). give her some scrambled eggs or fresh corn, if she'll eat them. make sure she stays warm. wishing you the best.

lynn

Thanks for the advice! She seemed to be much better yesterday; perked up and looking for food. She was limping badly though. I washed and inspected both feet thoroughly and there seems to be a little scuff mark but no swelling or anything. All joints moved readily and she didn't complain about being manipulated. Her comb is almost upright again. I can't figure it out. I'll keep hand feeding her I guess.

Well she died in the night. The day before she had a very pale comb and wattles, and hardly wanted to walk about at all. I still don't know what it is. I hope my other chickens don't get sick and die too.

Back
Top Bottom