Help with Sick Isa Brown

Thanks everyone for your help. It turns out she had flystrike. I had never heard of it. She seems to be doing better this morning. Hope I caught it in time. Time will tell.

Let us know how she’s doing. Isa Browns are the sweetest and funniest girls I ever had. They were produced to be prolific egg layers. I swear, my 6 laid an egg every single day and they were huge the first 6 months and finally went to a normal size. After 2 years, they started having issues with their eggs because they were bred to be egg laying machines. I should have kept the lights off starting at dusk so they would get a break over winter but I used to hang out with them after work for hours so I had the lights on. They took my ulcer pain away because all the days worried went out the window when I spent time with all the chickens. I had the best 5 years of my life with chickens. Their health goes down after a couple of years too. Mostly egg related. Read whatever you can about chicken health and issues so you have a first aid kit ready when something goes wrong. Tums or crushed calcium tablets for stronger shells as they age. Egg binding or soft shells. All kinds of stuff to know about chickens. We have no vets here who look at chickens so friends would call me up for help when they needed it.

Let us know how she’s doing. Isa Browns are the sweetest and funniest girls I ever had. They were produced to be prolific egg layers. I swear, my 6 laid an egg every single day and they were huge the first 6 months and finally went to a normal size. After 2 years, they started having issues with their eggs because they were bred to be egg laying machines. I should have kept the lights off starting at dusk so they would get a break over winter but I used to hang out with them after work for hours so I had the lights on. They took my ulcer pain away because all the days worried went out the window when I spent time with all the chickens. I had the best 5 years of my life with chickens. Their health goes down after a couple of years too. Mostly egg related. Read whatever you can about chicken health and issues so you have a first aid kit ready when something goes wrong. Tums or crushed calcium tablets for stronger shells as they age. Egg binding or soft shells. All kinds of stuff to know about chickens. We have no vets here who look at chickens so friends would call me up for help when they needed it.
Thanks for asking. After two days of tender care in the garage, Sugar started to walk around. She was ready to go back outside and be with her sister. Her backside area is still raw and kind of crusty. It’s sealed over and I’m hoping it will remain healthy. She is now free ranging in the yard during the day and locked up in her coop at night. You can’t tell she’s injured just by the way she runs around. I keep her rear clean and spray her with Vetericyn Plus. She had stopped laying 6 months ago at 2 years old when she first molted. Her sister Spice, is still laying, but misses a day or two now and then. The two girls are inseparable. It will be sad when one of them passes away first.

Back
Top Bottom