Help with Silkies

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedBrush Farm, Jul 15, 2011.

1. RedBrush Farm

RedBrush Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Missouri
    Went to a livestock auction and came home with 2 Silkie Hens. One is white, the other black. I know nothing about them but they are so beautiful. I know I will need to get a Rooster. My question is how much space do they need? Can they stay in my hanging pens in an area of 3ft. x 3ft. at night and have them in a yard pen during the day? I know they can not fly so I was wanting to use a portable pen to let them outside in the day and put them up where they are safe at night. Also, are there any specific food requirements? I also purchased Seabright Bantams. I have one male and one female. They came with 4 other bantams but they are speckled black and white? I will post pictures of them later to see if anyone knows what they are. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks -

(also a prayer may be in order as my husband does not yet know that I have come home with yet another "set" of chickens:cd)

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The pen sounds fine for 2. I have Silkies mixed in my layer flock. They eat the same feed and treats as everyone else.
    Mine grow really big crests on their heads which I trim up around their eye areas so they can see. Also, watch for any caking of stuff in their feathered feet. So far, their feet stay pretty clean.

3. lindy

lindy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Oregon
    I have 12 that go in a 4x4 foot dog house at night, they only use half of it, they like sleeping together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by