HELP with tapeworms- no luck with Zimecterin Gold :(

Tapes are definitely a pain in the neck to get under control. Sometimes it seems every insect that chickens eat are tapeworm infected, it becomes an ongoing battle.

At first I used Valbazen to get rid of tapes. It worked well for a period of time but became ineffective. I then used Zimecterin Gold for a long time and it was bye bye tapeworms.
Along with Z-Gold, I've used Equimax to eliminate tapeworms.

When worming for tapeworms; I go out to the coop early in the morning and snatch an infected bird off the roost and cradle her in my right arm. (I'm left handed.) I then put a blob of the paste on my left finger. With my cradling hand, I use my right finger and thumb to pull down on the wattles and the hens mouth opens. That's when I smear the paste inside the hens mouth with my left finger and I quickly release her wattles so she can swallow the paste on her own. Done.
I recommend that you use a syringe without needle to give her the correct dose using the same procedure above.

Since insects are the host for tapeworms, consider keeping your birds penned up for a period of time and spray your yard or property with Sevin liquid concentrate or Permethrin liquid concentrate.

Thank you @dawg53 and @Eggcessive!

I've been administering the Zimecterin with a syringe (no needle) to ensure she's getting all the product and because she wouldn't eat it soaked in a piece of bread. I will try again with the higher dosage (or Equimax instead). Thank you for all your help!

Tapes are definitely a pain in the neck to get under control. Sometimes it seems every insect that chickens eat are tapeworm infected, it becomes an ongoing battle.

At first I used Valbazen to get rid of tapes. It worked well for a period of time but became ineffective. I then used Zimecterin Gold for a long time and it was bye bye tapeworms.
Along with Z-Gold, I've used Equimax to eliminate tapeworms.

When worming for tapeworms; I go out to the coop early in the morning and snatch an infected bird off the roost and cradle her in my right arm. (I'm left handed.) I then put a blob of the paste on my left finger. With my cradling hand, I use my right finger and thumb to pull down on the wattles and the hens mouth opens. That's when I smear the paste inside the hens mouth with my left finger and I quickly release her wattles so she can swallow the paste on her own. Done.
I recommend that you use a syringe without needle to give her the correct dose using the same procedure above.

Since insects are the host for tapeworms, consider keeping your birds penned up for a period of time and spray your yard or property with Sevin liquid concentrate or Permethrin liquid concentrate.
Hi Dawg, I have been battling something “off” with my 2 older hens. I’ve made a couple posts and I’ve finally come to the conclusion it’s tapeworms. I found a very small amount of little white seed looking things in one of their poop. Sooooo, yes I’m going to use zimecterin and I’ve used it before, but recently I’ve integrated 6 more chickens 11 weeks old. So, I’m assuming I need to treat them as well (they’ve been penned vs. the hens who free range). What would be the amount to administer the 11 week olds? I believe for the hens it’s .5 ml by syringe unless I’m wrong. Thanks.

Hi Dawg, I have been battling something “off” with my 2 older hens. I’ve made a couple posts and I’ve finally come to the conclusion it’s tapeworms. I found a very small amount of little white seed looking things in one of their poop. Sooooo, yes I’m going to use zimecterin and I’ve used it before, but recently I’ve integrated 6 more chickens 11 weeks old. So, I’m assuming I need to treat them as well (they’ve been penned vs. the hens who free range). What would be the amount to administer the 11 week olds? I believe for the hens it’s .5 ml by syringe unless I’m wrong. Thanks.
Just treat your 2 older hens for tapeworms if you've actually seen segments in their feces.
There's no need to worm the 6 eleven week old birds unless you see segments in their feces.
Remember, chickens have to eat a tapeworm infected insect (host) to become infected with tapeworms.
Here's what the segments look like:

tapes seg.jpg

Just treat your 2 older hens for tapeworms if you've actually seen segments in their feces.
There's no need to worm the 6 eleven week old birds unless you see segments in their feces.
Remember, chickens have to eat a tapeworm infected insect (host) to become infected with tapeworms.
Here's what the segments look like:

View attachment 3167699
Thank you for the quick reply. Here is a pic of her poop, sorry it’s all mashed up because I was digging with a stick lol
But it looks like little white seeds in there to me. They weren’t on the outside like your pic, but maybe you can see what I’m talking about. Also, you don’t think I should treat the eleven week old even though they are all now penned together? (I lost a hen to a hawk a couple days ago so I don’t let them free range right now) thanks in advance

Attachments

• 77249716-3A1B-4A48-8E5E-6C5ABB304647.jpeg
    77249716-3A1B-4A48-8E5E-6C5ABB304647.jpeg
    620 KB · Views: 8
I magnified the photo and didnt see any tapeworm segments. However, I saw some shed intestinal lining which can be caused by coccidia or worms. Since it's from an older hen, I suspect it could be caused by roundworms.
In this instance, I recommend using Valbazen to take care of possible roundworm infection in your older hens as well as the 11 week old birds.

OR, you can gather fresh fecal samples and put them in a ziplock bag and take them to a vet. They'll look at the samples under a microscope for worm eggs and will let you know what you're dealing with. Coccidia should be present on the slide as well which would be normal unless the slide is full of them.
I'm not sure what the white seeds are, could be seeds or tiny calcium deposits or ground up stones, like grit.

I magnified the photo and didnt see any tapeworm segments. However, I saw some shed intestinal lining which can be caused by coccidia or worms. Since it's from an older hen, I suspect it could be caused by roundworms.
In this instance, I recommend using Valbazen to take care of possible roundworm infection in your older hens as well as the 11 week old birds.

OR, you can gather fresh fecal samples and put them in a ziplock bag and take them to a vet. They'll look at the samples under a microscope for worm eggs and will let you know what you're dealing with. Coccidia should be present on the slide as well which would be normal unless the slide is full of them.
I'm not sure what the white seeds are, could be seeds or tiny calcium deposits or ground up stones, like grit.
Ok, thank you. I guess I was grasping at straws when I saw the "segments" lol. Well, I am at work now, but on my way out, I looked into the coop and saw some runny poop with that same intestinal lining/shed that you pointed out. It was definitely more pronounced. I do not know which bird did this, it could have been any of them since they share a coop now. I will treat all birds with Valbazen, I had to look it up because I had never used it. It seems to be a dewormer. I probably will not be taking a sample in, at least not now. How do I administer this type of wormer if you don't mind me asking? (dosage, etc.) Also, should I treat for coccidia as well? I have corid. Also, is Valbazen available at farm stores?

Last edited:
We eat the eggs after using Valbazen, still here typing. However, if you believe that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means toss them in the garbage for 14 days.

Back
Top Bottom