Help with the Heat!

new2chickens2011

Songster
8 Years
Jun 11, 2011
Hello all,
Where I live the heat in the summer is CRAZY! Over 100 degrees pretty much every day. ALL summer. This is the first summer I've had chickens.
They aren't laying right now, presumably because of the heat? Which is fine, they deserve a break! :)
But what can I do to make them more comfortable besides what I already have which is ice in their water and a covering over the run for shade? They will survive the heat right?
Just a nervous new owner who is kind of worried.
Thanks all!

Hi,

I am new to chickens this summer too and will admit to probaby going a bit over board to keep them cooler and comfortable.

I do the ice in their water.
they get cool watermellon every day and tomato garden culls
But the thing my girls love is the box fan I have hung on the edge of the wire wall in the hen house. I was worried that they would not roost or not eat so have it angled away from the roost poles and the feeders and those hens will choose to nest right down in the shavings (instead of roost) so the fan can blow across them. they crack me up cause sometimes they stand with their butts to the fan and it blows up their feathers.

If you can I would try and offer them a box fan somewhere and see if they like it, my girls sure do

We froze water in any container that would hold water....they will sit on frozen milk jugs, anything frozen. They love them.

I've frozen 2 liter bottles and put them out in the run for them to sit near. Frozen watermelon, ice in the water. I have also watered down the run on really hot days. Good luck. With shade and plenty of water, I am sure they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom