Help with the roosting

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Sep 9, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Chicks roost in one area, my two dominant hens nest relatively close in another area of the coop and my poor Luna (bottom of the totem pole) roosts on the other side of the coop away from the others. Luna is the only one to use the roosts I made.

I was thinking of covering the areas they're using and making one large roost bar along the back. Will they eventually roost together the colder it gets? Will moving them to the designated roosting area "train" them to use it? Should I let them roost wherever or give them one general area? Right now I have poo pans everywhere trying to keep it clean and it's sort of a pain?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I let them roost where they choose, in the coop. Mine at present are all on the roosts, where they have been moving for a few months. Of course yours may stay separate forever.

3. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    You could give them more time and I'll bet they move around, or after it gets dark, move whomever you want over next to Luna. Once they get used to it, they might go back there by themselves.

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    I've posted this before but my Buff Orpingtons are always the last to go to roost. I was watching them last night and I saw why. The chickens fuss and squirm and flap and fuss and flap some more till they have the little fluffy feathers flying all over inside. When they finally shut up and stop the Buffs go in, get their spot, sit down and that's it. And in the morning when they come out, the Buffs are the last. [​IMG] Crazy chickens.

5. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Quote:X2

6. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Quote:We call our one BO "Party girl" because she is always the last one outside - rain or shine - poking around. She'll stay out a full hour after the others go to bed. She's always the last to leave the party! LOL

7. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. let them decide for themselves. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by