Help with the roosting

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
Chicks roost in one area, my two dominant hens nest relatively close in another area of the coop and my poor Luna (bottom of the totem pole) roosts on the other side of the coop away from the others. Luna is the only one to use the roosts I made.

I was thinking of covering the areas they're using and making one large roost bar along the back. Will they eventually roost together the colder it gets? Will moving them to the designated roosting area "train" them to use it? Should I let them roost wherever or give them one general area? Right now I have poo pans everywhere trying to keep it clean and it's sort of a pain?

I let them roost where they choose, in the coop. Mine at present are all on the roosts, where they have been moving for a few months. Of course yours may stay separate forever.

You could give them more time and I'll bet they move around, or after it gets dark, move whomever you want over next to Luna. Once they get used to it, they might go back there by themselves.

I've posted this before but my Buff Orpingtons are always the last to go to roost. I was watching them last night and I saw why. The chickens fuss and squirm and flap and fuss and flap some more till they have the little fluffy feathers flying all over inside. When they finally shut up and stop the Buffs go in, get their spot, sit down and that's it. And in the morning when they come out, the Buffs are the last.
lol.png
Crazy chickens.

Quote:
We call our one BO "Party girl" because she is always the last one outside - rain or shine - poking around. She'll stay out a full hour after the others go to bed. She's always the last to leave the party! LOL

Back
Top Bottom