Help, with vertical hatch turning on shipped eggs possible detached aircell

RestoreChicBoutique

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2020
Received some quail hatching eggs, (my first time hatching quail)... I left them undisturbed for 24 hours. Put them in the incubator I do not use a Turner I hand turn and happened to candle my two rare eggs that came with as extra unfortunately one of them looks like iI have stood all eggs up vertically because there's 53 teeny tiny quail eggs so very hard to handle them all sufficiently without them cooling too much. Anyone have any ideas on how I should turn these or what you would do? First time with quail, first time having eggs shipped! They looked great when I got them, but you really couldn't tell with the cells, but now that the chicks are developing you can clearly see it on that one! They were only on their sides for 3 days are they going to be able to be saved by the vertical setting!? anyone that's experience I'd greatly appreciate your help!!

I'm not sure. Why don't you have the turner plugged in? I would turn it on.

Let me see if I can find some people to help.
thanks so much, I went ahead and stood them up just so it didn't get any worse I'm just not sure how you turn if you don't have a Turner if you get what I'm saying. I've never had shipped eggs, I guess I should have let them set another 24 hours but they took four days to get to me So after 24 I stuck them in thinking that would be safe! I'm getting conflicting information saying don't touch them for so many days and then some saying you still need to turn them

thanks so much, I went ahead and stood them up just so it didn't get any worse I'm just not sure how you turn if you don't have a Turner if you get what I'm saying. I've never had shipped eggs, I guess I should have let them set another 24 hours but they took four days to get to me So after 24 I stuck them in thinking that would be safe! I'm getting conflicting information saying don't touch them for so many days and then some saying you still need to turn them
Can I see a picture of how they're set up right now? I can't really picture it.

I'm not sure. Why don't you have the turner plugged in? I would turn it on.
I never use the Turner. This is the first time I've ever had quail eggs so the chicken Turner I have got in the garage, for sure won't fit the quail eggs. I do have them n egg cartons with bottom holes cut out for better air circulation also small enough so they don't slip through, but do I take the entire carton and turn it do I let them sit for a few days because the one has a wonky aircell... I've never done vertical I always hatch on their sides. X on top circle on bottom type thing.

Last edited:
Can I see a picture of how they're set up right now? I can't really picture it.
There is 4 holes under each egg to make sure there's good airflow tiny ones of course and I set the piece of card board to kind of hold them up. This is my only option right this second to get them vertical until a Turner comes in the mail it'll take a few days I just didn't want them to lay on their side and get worse but when I'm talking about turning I'm wondering do I take the entire carton and move it like 180? Or each individual egg I've also read to let them just sit still for a few days but they're already developing I'm not sure if that's a great idea I've just never even hatched eggs vertically. Sorry if I sound stupid I didn't expect the air cell problem especially since I let them sit and rest for 24 hours before putting them in I just happened to look in and candle one today when I seen it I candled a couple more just to see if it was the only one and so far it is. But 53 eggs I'm not going to candle them all I figured just put them all vertical in case and figure out how to turn them safely.
IMG_20200521_122129468.jpg

Back
Top Bottom