Help with waterer (Picture)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by justinfrozen, Jul 30, 2014.

1. justinfrozen

justinfrozen Hatching

Apr 15, 2014
    Hey everyone,
    I have these little 1 gallon water jugs (green one in picture). I figured I would make a larger water reserve for them so I am not filling these two guys up twice a day. As you can see in the picture how I attempted to run it. I cut a hole in the top of the 1 gallon water jug ran a 1"pvc pipe through it and put silicon around the pipe to make it air tight again. I started filling up my blue tub and it just kept flowing out of the bottom. Would anyone have a solution to this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry for the dirty picture but I had a massive spill.
    [​IMG]

2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    I think with all the extra water it's too much pressure for it so it just goes out.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. apteryx

apteryx Songster

May 28, 2013
    Alabama
    The blue tub will need to be airtight. As long as the blue tub does not have an airtight lid, the water will keep flowing out. The original waterer works by the water in the water tray getting low enough to let some air in. The water level then refills until it is above the outlet level, which stops the air from getting in, thereby stopping the flow of water.

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    x2! I never thought of that! That might be your problem!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by