Help with what breed of chicken to get?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mainechicken, May 27, 2010.

1. Mainechicken

Mainechicken New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Brunswick, Maine
    Hope its Ok to post this here I am new to chickens for the most part. I live in Maine and would like to get 5 to 6 hens to have fresh eggs. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some different types. And can you mix them? I would like to let them out in the yard during the day also. A few types I was looking at are the following. Any info/help is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Delaware
    Hamburg
    Plymouth Rock
    White faced black spanish
    Easter Eggers
    Ancona

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    I love the Rhode Island Reds, they lay big eggs and have fantastic personalities. Good luck with your choice, they are all so awesome! [​IMG]

3. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    i have RIR, gottem for the eggs,,, even though i ended up with only 1 pullet! i can sit in my chair by the pen and they'll get on the roost and i'll start humming and they fall asleep [​IMG] i love them!

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    I really enjoy having a mixture of breeds, it is easier to Identifiy them, and recognize their personalities. And I think it makes for a pretty flock. I had all barred rocks once, and while I loved them, I like a mixed flock better.

5. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    I love my Barred Rock - her personality is just a riot. I also have a Production Red, which are close to RIRs, and she is dumb as a box of rocks. Sorry. My leghorn is also fun to watch, but really flighty. That's my only experience so far!

6. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    My faves as far as docile, calm, friendly are Barred Rocks for sure!!

RIR's for lots of eggs, or could go with a sex link/hybrid of some sort.

Buff Orpingtons are pretty mellow and docile as well.

As you can see in my siggy, I have a mix like the pp mentioned! I like lots of color in my flock.

7. MissJenny

MissJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    May I say, [​IMG]. Glad you're here -- I hope you gather lots and lots of valuable information and make many lasting friendships. As for which breeds to choose, I can only tell you what I have done, which is to have selected six chicks of four different breeds. Like Mrs. K said, it makes for a pretty flock and an ease of telling who is who. What i have are Light Brahma, EE's, Barred Rock and Cochin. I am suppsed to have a Speckled Sussex, but the hatchery didn't include one in my order.

When choosing breeds, my first priority was to select birds that are calm and friendly. Because I live in Ohio my second priority was that they be winter hardy. And finally I just flat out hoped to get an Easter Egger that lays a lovely blue/green egg.

I really like having a mixed flock.

Sp what are your priorities?

Jenny

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by