Help with window and ventilation placement

2 Beauts

Songster
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
Virginia
We got the floor of our coop done today. But, I want to make sure there is adequate ventilation and get an idea for the best placement of the windows. Our coop will have a peaked roof with a ridge vent and an overhang. It's 8X12 enclosed, with a 8 foot overhang and 10 foot open. The building peak will be running NE to SW. The entry door will be on the NW side.

Where do you think the best placement of the windows would be?

if it was me id put the windows on the sides.an put them accross from eachother so you can get the cross winds blowing through them.that keeps it cooler in the summer.

By preference I'd probably put windows on the NW, SW and SE sides. If I had to omit one of those it would probably be the NW side (but it would still be awfully good to have at least a closeable vent on that side, if not an actual window). I'd try to locate the windows so they will be shaded by an overhang during the hot part of the summer.

JMHO,

Pat

Thanks for all the input!!

We decided that to put one opposite the door on the SE side, and the other at the far end of the NW side to create a cross flow. Along with the ridge vent on the roof for hot air, we will be installing 2 8"x30" cool air return covers for additional ventilation. These can easily be covered with a magnetic cover. We'll place these low on the floor to help with any chance of smell and as the primary ventilation. They will also be on opposite sides and ends in effort to pull the air through.

sounds like a good plan. make sure some of those extra vents are on the SW side, since you will most need ventilation in summer, when prevailing winds are often from that quarter and having vents only NW-SE might entirely miss the breeze
smile.png

Have fun,

Pat

Back
Top Bottom