1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help with winter egg collection

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Busia77, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Busia77

Busia77 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2016
    Wisconsin
    The past couple days, most of my eggs have cracked from freezing before I could collect them. I'm gone from 7:30-5pm most days for work. Kids don't get off the bus much earlier. I need advice!!! I don't heat the coop, but I wont rule that out if its the only option. I need to save my eggs!!!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I heat my Coop all winter.......Never hot inside....My eggs never freeze, either does my water.....Birds are happy and lay daily.....

Cheers!

1 person likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
  4. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

This will be my 3rd season using the heated boxes.

I have not made any modifications since 2014 when constructed except a yearly cleanout when exchanging the deep coop floor bedding with new.

To date, zero unscheduled maintenance, and zero frozen eggs.

Note, if my daytime ambient temps were lower, I would have considered using higher watt mats readily available, or 2 per box as the ones I used are relatively inexpensive.

Heat the nesting boxes to stop eggs from freezing.

Something to consider.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by