Help with worms and ACV

schellie69

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Kansas
I started about 2 weeks ago putting apple cider vinegar (with mother) in my chickens water bowl and today I noticed that in one of my EE"s bantams poop was little hair like worms will the ACV kill or make a chicken with worms get rid of them do I need to worm all of my chickens I have 10 1 year old hens 4- 4 month old pullets and one 5 month old rooster should I go ahead and de-worm them and how should I use the medicine that goes in their water first followed by the other medicine that goes on the skin should I also use the DE, or should I just go to the one medicine that goes on the skin this is my 1st year with chickens and I have not seen any worms before also all of my chickens are of good weight for their size I have been picking them up just to check so any help would be appreciated I have read a bunch of post and it gets really confusing on which medicine to use and when I asked the guy I got them from about what I needed to do and he said not to worry about worms so I did not realize that I needed to be worming them twice a year plus how long can we not eat the eggs for. also do I need to de-worm them all at the same time or can I divide the flock up so we still have some eggs?

I don't know how to answer your other questions, as I have never wormed my chickens in all these years...but I don't think just ACV will kill any worms that are present.

Maybe someone else will answer your questions about methods of deworming....

I'm new to this also, but I've heard a lot about people adding garlic powder to the chicken's feed. I'm doing it as a preventative measure since my chickens are not laying eggs yet, and I don't think they have worms yet... The only drawback might be on the taste of the eggs if you overdo the garlic powder!

Nope, ACV is great stuff and is used as a worm preventative, but once you've seen worms in the poo, the infestation is pretty heavy. Go to post #7 on this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=324751 for worming advice from dawg53. I believe he usually recommends Wazine first, followed by Ivermectin pour on (used on the skin of the neck like using Advantage for fleas on your dog). If no one else weighs in on your other questions, try a PM to dawg53. He's pretty savvy about the whole worming thing.

Quote:
you need some periods, i don't even understand that!

I am so sorry that my punctuation is not acceptable to you. I was more worried about getting some help for my chickens then to worry where to put a comma or period! I guess I am just a stupid redneck Hick. if you could not figure out what I was saying just because I missed a few periods maybe you have the problem.

Quote:
you need some periods, i don't even understand that!

I understood it. There's no need to be rude here! This is an open forum, not just for people who write the way you do. (However, since you're being particular....please start all your sentences with a capital letter. Also, the word I should always be capitalized. Have a great day!)

If we could exclude people just because of the way they type......I would get rid of all the people wHo tYPe LikE tHiS
gig.gif

Last edited:
MuranoFarms thank you very much. I felt really bad after that post, I now had to smile and laugh when I read your post. It reminds me that there are really nice and great people on the forum that really care. Thank you again for making me feel better.

I have not triied yet ,but just purchased some diatomaceous earth used for internal parisites all natural .Should'nt effect egg production.needs to be feed grade,I get mine from a feed store.Can get info on it from net.Also can be sprincled on bird for lice.

Last edited:
Quote:
After talking to another byc member I have chosen to go with a chemical de-worming and then use DE as a way to help prevent worms. It seems that using DE does not kill the worms therefore you must use a chemical de-wormed first and then use the DE as a back up. thanks for the help. if you need some help let me know and I will get the names of the 2 wormers that I am going to be using.

Back
Top Bottom